BYU football: Cougars perform in front of NFL scouts at pro day
PROVO — Former BYU football players performed in front of NFL scouts during the program's pro day on Thursday. The participants included Brandon Ogletree, Uona Kaveinga, Braden Brown, Braden Hansen, and, of course Ezekiel Ansah, who received the majority of focus.
Ansah is projected to be a top 15 pick in the upcoming NFL draft by just about every source out there following his performance at the NFL combine. Ansah was put through some intense workouts, but didn't take part in timed drills.
"I didn't think I could do anything more to impress people out here," Ansah said. "I know I'm fast."
Ansah blew observers away with his 4.63 forty at the combine.
The player who perhaps helped himself most during pro day was linebacker Brandon Ogletree, who ran a 4.61 forty.
"I feel like I'm an NFL player and we'll see what happens," Ogletree said. "I think I turned a lot of heads today."
NFL scouts in attendance included representatives from the Pittsburgh Steelers, Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Buffalo Bills, New Orleans Saints, Denver Broncos, Cincinnati Bengals Kansas City Chiefs and the Oakland Raiders.
"It was exciting," said Preston Hadley. "People dream to have an opportunity like this, to even be considered for the NFL, so to be in this position, I feel real fortunate."
Hadley didn't know his exact forty time, but assumes it was around 4.50.
Joe Sampson participated in Pro Day after being dismissed from the team before the end of last season. The safety prospect was one of the few disappointed with his workout.
"I slipped a bit running my forty and didn't run it as fast as I know I can," Sampson said. "It was great to be out here though and I'm real thankful to Coach (Bronco) Mendenhall for allowing me to participate here and hopefully I get on with a team."
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 81
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 66
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 53
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 29
- Pac-12 South: Bruins the favorite, but... 22