SALT LAKE CITY — Brenda Case Scheer, dean of the College of Architecture and Planning at the University of Utah, will resign from her position effective Dec. 31, university officials announced Thursday.
Scheer is expected to take a sabbatical, during which she will research and write a book, before returning to the university as a full-time professor.
"I am very proud of the tremendous record of progress made in the college during my 11-year tenure," Scheer said in a prepared statement. "In the next few months I have the goal of moving our proposed building addition forward, instituting new procedures for assessment of programs and student learning, and launching our new multidisciplinary design degree, as well as facilitating a smooth transition to a new dean."
During Scheer's tenure, the college introduced a doctorate program, a joint graduate degree in real estate development and an accredited masters program in city and metropolitan planning. This month the college will launch a new undergraduate degree program in multidisciplinary design, which is expected to enhance the U.’s focus on tech transfer and innovation as well as prepare students for new kinds of careers.
"I want to thank Brenda for her leadership and commitment to sustainability and encouraging student engagement with important issues in the community,” University of Utah President David Pershing said. “The college is a model for many of the student success efforts we are now introducing throughout the university.”
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Husband says he didn't know about wife's...
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- Southern Utah left wanting for water
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove garage;...
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held on $6...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 94
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 74
- Utah attorney general encourages... 57
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 34
- Police nab man suspected of gropings at... 31
- Will Josh Powell's family argue he... 28
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24