Ravell Call, Deseret News
PROVO, Utah — After 14 years at the helm of Timpview High’s boys basketball program, coach Perry Wildeboer announced his resignation Thursday.
Wildeboer, 51, compiled a 240-79 record during that stretch and won state titles in 2000, 2003 and 2010.
He’ll remain a teacher at Timpview — where he’s taught for 24 years — but admits the scrutiny the sports programs at Timpview have been under the past year after the football program fallout has been taxing.
“Timpview has been through a lot, and it’s been a tough time for those coaching at Timpview,” said Wildeboer, whose program was audited along with all the others last year. “It’s been difficult with that whole process. I don’t think it’s been easy to coach at Timpview under all that scrutiny.”
Wildeboer isn’t ruling out coaching again someday but is looking forward to spending time with family.
“It’s a good time for me to take off and spend more with family," he said. "I have five kids, so I can be plenty busy with my family, so that will be good.”
Timpview’s varsity team posted an 18-4 record last season, and Wildeboer said whoever takes over as head coach should have similar success after the three younger levels at Timpview combined for a 47-11 record.
“Things are set up to keep it rolling and do well,” Wildeboer said.
Prior to taking over as head coach in 1999, Wildeboer was an assistant at Timpview and was on staff during state titles in 1989 and 1999.
Wildeboer will continue to teach U.S. history and sports psychology at Timpview.
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No. 23 in...
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6 seasons, but...
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia team...
- Ziggy Ansah helps homeless man after he was...
- Dick Harmon: BYU safeties Craig Bills, Dallin...
- Brad Rock: Expect back to the future with...
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback...
- Utah State batters Wake Forest but loses...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 126
- Roller-coaster ride: BYU outlasts... 103
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 47
- Peavler: BYU knows it can't afford to... 42
- Dick Harmon: Leap of faith takes on... 39
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 36
- BYU football report card: Mostly B's... 35
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 35