Utah State men's tennis fell to UC Santa Barbara, 6-1, in a match played in Boise, Idaho, on Wednesday. With the loss, USU is now 5-8 on the season.
Sophomore Sean Levesque was the only Aggie to win a singles match as he defeated Alexander Gryaznov at the No. 5 spot in straight sets (7-5, 6-0). Levesque also posted USU's only doubles win along with junior partner Fredrik Peterson as they defeated Benjamin Recknagel and Axel Bouillin, 8-3.
In other singles matches, senior Sven Poslusny lost to Benjamin Recknagel at the No. 1 spot in straight sets (6-1, 6-2). At the No. 2 spot, junior Fredrik Peterson was defeated by Mbonisi Ndimande in straight sets (6-3, 6-3). At the No. 3 spot, sophomore Matt Sweet fell to Axel Bouillin in straight sets (7-5, 6-4). At the No. 4 spot, sophomore Marcus Fritz was defeated by Ziad Sultan in straight sets (6-2, 6-1). And at the No. 6 spot, sophomore Curran Wearmouth was defeated by Andrew Riminton in straight sets (6-2, 6-3).
In doubles action, Poslusny and Sweet fell to Mbonisi Ndimande and Ziad Sultan at the first position, 8-5. At the third doubles position, Fritz and junior partner Andrew Whiting were defeated by Andrew Riminton and Miles Seemann, 8-3.
The Aggies will remain in Boise and play Boise State on Thursday, March 28 at 1 p.m.
UC Santa Barbara 6, Utah State 1
1. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Sven Poslusny (USU) — 6-1, 6-2
2. Mbonisi Ndimande (UCSB) def. Fredrik Peterson (USU) — 6-3, 6-3Comment on this story
3. Axel Bouillin (UCSB) def. Matt Sweet (USU) — 7-5, 6-4
4. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) def. Marcus Fritz (USU) — 6-2, 6-1
5. Sean Levesque (USU) def. Alexander Gryaznov (UCSB) — 7-5, 6-0
6. Andrew Riminton (UCSB) def. Curran Wearmouth (USU) — 6-2, 6-3
1. Mbonisi Ndimande/Ziad Sultan (UCSB) def. Sven Poslusny/Matt Sweet (USU) — 8-5
2. Fredrik Peterson/Sean Levesque (USU) def. Benjamin Recknagel/Axel Bouillin (UCSB) — 8-3
3. Andrew Riminton/Miles Seemann (UCSB) def. Marcus Fritz/Andrew Whiting (USU) — 8-3
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.