High school soccer: Ogden stays undefeated in Region 11 with 5-0 win
STANSBURY PARK — The Ogden Tigers took their perfect Region 11 record into Stansbury Wednesday, looking to improve to 5-0 on the season. They did just that, beating the Stallions 5-0. Five different players scored for the Tigers, and goalkeeper Auggie Garcia picked up his state best sixth shutout of the season.
“I’m really proud of my defense,” Garcia said. “We work really hard in practice, and we’re getting the results that we want.”
The Tigers got rolling early, getting two goals in the first five minutes. Josue Valtierra scored in just the second minute, and Spencer Smith was able to go back post in the fifth minute to give Ogden the 2-0 lead early on.
“Coach told us to come out aggressive like we did against Tooele,” Smith said. “We just came out hard, and were able to keep it going from there.”
The game stayed at 2-0, and although Ogden had several chances to score, they weren’t able to score until the 27th minute when Dario Robles found the back of the net to make it 3-0 — the Tigers took that lead into the half.
Stansbury made adjustments in the second half, and were able to hold Ogden scoreless until the 66th minute when Jesus Gil found scored it, making it 4-0.
Tucker Castle headed in a throw in from Ethan Vosburg just a few minutes later to make the score 5-0, and that is where the lead stayed.
Ogden moves to 6-1-1 and 5-0 in Region 11, and has now outscored their opponents 28-2, and outscored Region 11 opponents 26-0. They will host Morgan Friday April 5. Stansbury drops to 1-4 overall, and 1-3 in Region 11. They will play at Morgan Monday, April 8.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a senior at Stansbury High School. Follow CJ on Twitter @BigCeeJ3113
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25