With President Thomas S. Monson's recent announcement that lowered the minimum age for missionary service to 19 for sisters, "Prepare Now for the Temple: An Essential Guide for Young Adult Sisters" by Brittany Mangus (Cedar Fort Publishing, $8.99) is a timely resource for the new surge of young adult women preparing to enter the temple at a younger age.
But whether a woman will be entering the temple in preparation for a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, marriage or other reason, Mangus offers many valuable tips to help make her first day in the temple a day of peace, serenity and learning.
Below are some of Mangus' suggestions to prepare to enter the temple:
Don't get so caught up in marriage or mission preparation that you forget to prepare for the temple. Mangus said, "Preparation to enter the temple is more important than any other preparation."
Enter the temple not because you're going on a mission or getting married, but to learn about the plan of salvation and to make covenants with God. Mangus said, "It was only when I understood why I needed the endowment that I understood what it was."
Learn about the importance of symbols. The sacrament uses symbolism to teach us important things about the Atonement, and so does the temple.
Look for the Atonement of Jesus Christ in the temple ordinances. Be careful not to look beyond the mark in temple worship, as the Pharisees and Sadducees did in Christ's time.
Don't worry. Mangus said, "Nervousness accompanies any first-time experience, but you're going to the house of the Lord. There is nothing in His house that you need to worry about."
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- Utah company films aerial video of renovated...
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is better...
- New features at Ogden Temple reception tent...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 24
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is... 9
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house... 8
- New features at Ogden Temple reception... 6
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11... 5