2 teens injured in high school parking lot rollover spurred by race
TAYLORSVILLE — Two teenagers were injured Wednesday when the truck they were riding in flipped over in the parking lot at Taylorsville High School.
The teens, including the 16-year-old driver, had been in the cab of the truck and three were riding in the back of the bed of the truck at about 2 p.m., according to Unified Police Department Lt. Justin Hoyal. He said the truck was racing another vehicle down a side road, east of the school and behind the football stadium, near 5225 S. Redwood Road, when it arrived in the parking lot and made a sharp turn, causing the truck to roll.
Some of the riders jumped out of the back of the truck before it rolled, but the driver and one of the riders were taken to the hospital with serious injuries, Hoyal said. The other three teens were not injured.
"This is obviously a very dangerous situation for anybody to be driving at this high rate of speed, this recklessly, in a school parking lot, when school is in session and there are kids that are out," he said. "We always warn kids, especially when they are driving, to drive with caution."
The teenagers were not identified and it was not immediately known if the teens are students at the high school. He said the driver will be cited for reckless driving, a class B misdemeanor.
- Recreation, crowds and challenges: What's...
- About Utah: He never yelled, but he sure did...
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- Herbert pleads with Obama to stop any new...
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 50
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 38
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 36
- Herbert pleads with Obama to stop any... 22
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 18
- EPA's Clean Power Plan draws Utah... 15
- ACLU supports inmates' hunger strike,... 15
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12