Technology in seminary: Is it enhancing or distracting the experience?
“We’re a fairly cautious group. We’re cautious not to jump too far ahead,” Shepherd said. “When something is considered, we will ask, 'How does it enhance the experience that we value?'”
Some teachers see the day coming when most if not all students are using electronic scriptures. They also predict more out-of-class learning as young people access online resources and study activities.
“I see a student going home and having a very personalized experience online that parallels the classroom experience they had that morning in seminary,” Mickelson said.
Within 10 years, missionaries could be teaching investigators with iPads, Webb said.
“If that happens, then it will happen in seminary as well,” Webb said. “And they will have the maturity to stay off the Internet and use apps appropriate for class. I believe most of the teaching in the church will be done using technology. No one will have to spend five minutes looking for Thessalonians.”
Thousands more will have access to the gospel and the words of living prophets, Olsen said.
“Technology will be a tool for increasing personal testimony and conversion, resulting in more and more young people taking seminary,” Olsen said.
It wasn’t too long ago that getting projectors in each room was a big deal, Slaughter said, and now some are asking when they will get Apple TV. Regardless of the changes that might come, Slaughter said the core fundamentals will remain the same.
“Seminary still works, kids still come, they still share awesome personal experiences and feel the Holy Ghost. They will continue to build and strengthen each other,” Slaughter said. “It will always be a good place to be.”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- LDS Church releases statement on construction...
- ABC's 'Nightline' takes a look into the lives...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- BYU football players gather for 30 year...
- BYUtv releases 'New Day for the Book of...
- Tad Walch: The LDS Church's call for balance...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 204
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 157
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 54
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 39
- LDS statement could move Utah... 31
- Defending the Faith: Rethinking... 27
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- LDS Church releases statement on... 25