Technology in seminary: Is it enhancing or distracting the experience?
“We’re a fairly cautious group. We’re cautious not to jump too far ahead,” Shepherd said. “When something is considered, we will ask, 'How does it enhance the experience that we value?'”
Some teachers see the day coming when most if not all students are using electronic scriptures. They also predict more out-of-class learning as young people access online resources and study activities.
“I see a student going home and having a very personalized experience online that parallels the classroom experience they had that morning in seminary,” Mickelson said.
Within 10 years, missionaries could be teaching investigators with iPads, Webb said.
“If that happens, then it will happen in seminary as well,” Webb said. “And they will have the maturity to stay off the Internet and use apps appropriate for class. I believe most of the teaching in the church will be done using technology. No one will have to spend five minutes looking for Thessalonians.”
Thousands more will have access to the gospel and the words of living prophets, Olsen said.
“Technology will be a tool for increasing personal testimony and conversion, resulting in more and more young people taking seminary,” Olsen said.
It wasn’t too long ago that getting projectors in each room was a big deal, Slaughter said, and now some are asking when they will get Apple TV. Regardless of the changes that might come, Slaughter said the core fundamentals will remain the same.
“Seminary still works, kids still come, they still share awesome personal experiences and feel the Holy Ghost. They will continue to build and strengthen each other,” Slaughter said. “It will always be a good place to be.”
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- The Clean Cut: David Archuleta sings 'If the...
- David Archuleta, Mormon Tabernacle Choir,...
- LDS Church releases 'He Is The Gift'...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- LDS Church to send email newsletters to...
- Evangelicals with gay children challenging...
- Richard Paul Evans: 8-year-old boy with bone...
- New friends plan to work together to... 63
- Evangelicals with gay children... 23
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 22
- John Jones died in a cave, but his... 14
- Ask Angela: Should I end this... 11
- David Archuleta, Mormon Tabernacle... 10
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an... 8
- 7 bizarre ways religious leaders have... 5