Technology in seminary: Is it enhancing or distracting the experience?
“We’re a fairly cautious group. We’re cautious not to jump too far ahead,” Shepherd said. “When something is considered, we will ask, 'How does it enhance the experience that we value?'”
Some teachers see the day coming when most if not all students are using electronic scriptures. They also predict more out-of-class learning as young people access online resources and study activities.
“I see a student going home and having a very personalized experience online that parallels the classroom experience they had that morning in seminary,” Mickelson said.
Within 10 years, missionaries could be teaching investigators with iPads, Webb said.
“If that happens, then it will happen in seminary as well,” Webb said. “And they will have the maturity to stay off the Internet and use apps appropriate for class. I believe most of the teaching in the church will be done using technology. No one will have to spend five minutes looking for Thessalonians.”
Thousands more will have access to the gospel and the words of living prophets, Olsen said.
“Technology will be a tool for increasing personal testimony and conversion, resulting in more and more young people taking seminary,” Olsen said.
It wasn’t too long ago that getting projectors in each room was a big deal, Slaughter said, and now some are asking when they will get Apple TV. Regardless of the changes that might come, Slaughter said the core fundamentals will remain the same.
“Seminary still works, kids still come, they still share awesome personal experiences and feel the Holy Ghost. They will continue to build and strengthen each other,” Slaughter said. “It will always be a good place to be.”
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- Elder Perry to undergo cancer treatment,...
- 27 more tips for couples: Marriage advice,...
- 5 professional athletes who stand up for...
- LDS Church to create Central Eurasian Mission...
- Elder Oaks warns of rising secularism,...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting religious...
- Defending the Faith: Warfare and the Book of...
- Sweeping size of Payson Temple reflects...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting... 67
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Defending the Faith: Warfare and the... 59
- Spiritual journey leads 3-term U.S.... 50
- Physicist tells New York Times he keeps... 35
- 5 professional athletes who stand up... 21
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- The best (and worst) countries for... 16