"Everybody is tweeting, always telling people what they're doing, when they are doing it, and who they are with," Vesey said. "Everyone wants to know what you're doing and who you are doing with and if anything you say is contradictory to what you are really doing, it's a problem."
Vesey lost a relationship with a good friend due to misunderstandings through social media, and understands the negative effects online interaction can have.
Though Vesey lost one connection through the use of social media, she has had enough positive experiences to make up for it.
"I mentor other law students. Social media helps because I can immediately help them," Vesey said. "My relationships with my mentees are very strong because of social media. With them it's been a really great tool to build confidence and trust in me and my advice."
People can become reckless when using social media, she believes, especially when it comes to real-time relationships.
"You don't want to completely detour from who you are; you need to be responsible when you log out of those networks," she said.
However, expanding her professional network has been made possible through networking sites online and has allowed Vesey to make connections all over.
"It was amazing to branch out to people that saw my tweets and wanted to know more about me and the things I do," Vesey said. "I can't give enough props and thanks to the people who created Twitter."
Mandy Morgan is an enterprise intern for the Deseret News, reporting on values in the media. She is a true-blue Aggie, studying journalism and political science at Utah State University, and hails from Highland, Utah.
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- The 9 most overlooked threats to a marriage
- The Clean Cut: Ellen DeGeneres gives money to...
- A black and white Halloween: Classic suspense...
- Playing favorites can increase the chance a...
- Shannon and Dean Hale introduce a superhero...
- Comedian Jim Gaffigan shares his 'Love Story'...
- Utah father and son emerge from 'Shark Tank'...
- Are teachers getting behind Common... 15
- Studio C teams up with popular indie... 6
- Bound together: marriage rates and the... 5
- The Clean Cut: Ellen DeGeneres gives... 5
- Can too many dating options be a... 5
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge... 5
- How the conversation about video games... 3
- Has violence in media lost its edge? 3