Clayton has been as consistent as they come for BYU softball. The California native made an impact right away for the Cougars, starting in 54 games her freshman year. She had a career-high 80 hits that season alongside a .430 batting average and a career-high 56 runs scored. Her consistency throughout the season helped lead BYU to its first ever NCAA Super Regional against Arizona.
In her sophomore and junior seasons she started in every game and continued to add to her impressive freshman stats, leading the Cougars to two more NCAA Regional appearances and two conference championships.
In her first three years at BYU, Clayton garnered Mountain West Conference Freshman of the Year, Mountain West All-Conference First Team, Easton Second-Team All-American, NFCA All-Region First Team, All-WAC First Team and two BYU Offensive Player of the Year accolades.
At the beginning of this season, she was named to the Top 50 Watch List for the 2013 USA Collegiate Softball Player of the Year. With four hits against USD on Saturday, she surpassed Angie Quiocho to hold the new all-time hit record with 269 career hits. Clayton also set a game record in game two on Saturday against the Toreros for stolen bases in a game with four.
“JC has been a cornerstone on our team for four years now,” Eakin said of her accomplishment. “She is a complete player. This record could stand for a very long time.”
Clayton is also second in career batting average with .403, fourth in career runs scored with 169, second in career triples with 9 and third in career stolen bases with 38. She has also won three of the seven PCSC Player of the Week honors so far this season.
Where to watch
Friday's game will be broadcast live on BYU Radio-Sirius XM 143, while Saturday's doubleheader will be broadcast via BYUtv.
Jamie Morris is the softball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA:...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 65
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23