USU football: Aggies ready for first spring scrimmage Thursday
After five practices, Utah State football will hold its first scrimmage of the spring on Merlin Olsen Field at Romney Stadium on Thursday, March 28, at approximately 3:15 p.m.
The scrimmage, which will conclude Utah State’s second week of spring drills, is open to the public.
First-year head coach Matt Wells will run his team through a roughly 100-play scrimmage and is anxious to evaluate the running back and quarterback positions, as well as the offense as a whole, while at the same time looking for solid tackling from his defense and identifying playmakers in the secondary. Wells plans on playing every player currently on the roster.
“I think more than anything, I want to see some clean execution, especially for the ones,” Wells said. “On both sides, it should be really good competition. I want to see guys playing clean and executing on both sides.”
The Aggies will be put in six different situations during the scrimmage — coming out from the offense's own one-yard line; beginning at the offense's own 30-yard line; a period starting at the offense's 40; two red zone periods, beginning at the defense's 12 yard line and 25 yard line; and a two-minute period. The No. 1 offense is scheduled to compete versus the No. 1 defense throughout the scrimmage with the No. 2 units facing off versus one another.
Utah State will continue its spring schedule next week, practicing Monday and Wednesday from 6:15-8:15 a.m. and Thursday from 3:15-5:15 p.m. All practices are open to the public, with morning practices scheduled for the Stan Laub Indoor Football Complex. Afternoon practices are scheduled for Merlin Olsen Field at Romney Stadium. All practice times and locations are subject to change.
Utah State will conclude spring drills Saturday, April 20 at 2 p.m. with its annual Blue vs. White Spring Game. Admission to the spring game is free.
Utah State football 2013 spring practice dates
Thur., March 28 — 3:15-5:15 p.m. (Scrimmage)
Mon., April 1 — 6:15-8:15 a.m.
Wed., April 3 — 6:15-8:15 a.m.
Thur., April 4 — 3:15-5:15 p.m.
Mon., April 8 — 6:15-8:15 a.m.
Wed., April 10 — 6:15-8:15 a.m.
Thur., April 11 — 3:15-5:15 p.m. (Scrimmage)
Mon., April 15 — 6:15-8:15 a.m.
Wed., April 17 — 6:15-8:15 a.m. (No Pads)
Saturday, April 20 — 2 p.m. (Blue vs. White Spring Game)
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- Even before easy win, good day for Serena...
- Westbrook, Thunder put Warriors on brink of...
- 'Lost my way': Murray pushed to 5 sets again...
- USMNT: RSL's Beckerman starts, Timbers' Nagbe...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 152
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 51
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 31
- Rose excited for near future stability,... 20