"EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT GIRLS CAMP: The Essential Planning Guide for Leaders," by Stephanie Connelley Worlton, Cedar Fort, $12.99, 165 pages (nf)
“Everything You Need to Know About Girls Camp: The Essential Planning Guide for Leaders” by Stephanie Connelley Worlton is a useful tool for those women who are in charge of planning girls camp for their ward or stake of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Worlton divides the book into two different sections called “Getting Started” and “Pre Camp Planning.” In the introduction, Worlton reminds the readers that being called as a Young Women camp leader is not a punishment. Instead, it is a wonderful opportunity to serve the young women in your Mormon ward and stake.
Worlton recommends leaders become familiar with the “For the Strength of Youth" pamphlet, the Young Women "Personal Progress" book, and “Young Women Camp: A Guide for Priesthood and Young Women Leaders.” All of these resources can be found online at lds.org.
The topics in the book are varied. Worlton covers things like the role of the priesthood at girls camp to dealing with unhappy or unruly youth.
“Everything You Need to Know About Girls Camp” is an extremely detailed book. It literally takes the reader by the hand and explains everything they should be doing to ensure that camp is a success.
For those who don’t have enough time to read an entire book about Young Women camp, Worlton includes useful tips and scatters them throughout the book. These tips are separated from the text of the book and are found in small boxes. Readers who skim through the book will be able to easily spot them.
Not only does Worlton break down the costs of a camp, she includes sample menus and recipes as well. Needless to say, Worlton does a lot of the thinking and brainstorming for Young Women camp leaders.
The book ends with the lyrics to popular songs that are loved by girls camp attendees and alumni.
“Everything You Need to Know About Girls Camp” is an excellent resource for any leader. Following the directions in this book almost guarantees a successful week at girls camp.
Shelby Scoffield has a bachelor's in English from Brigham Young University and a master's in rhetoric and composition from Stanislaus State University. She is currently working on her teaching credentials so she can teach high school English.
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- Redskins find new opponent, supporter of name...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 63
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 28
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 22
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 18