USU golf: Aggies travel to California for Cal Poly Match Play Championships
The Utah State men’s golf team will travel to Arroyo Grande, Calif., to compete in the Cal Poly hosted Match Play Championships on Thursday and Friday, March 28-29, at the Cypress Ridge Golf Course.
The Cypress Ridge course measures 6,803 yards for the tournament and has a par of 72.
Each team will field five golfers with the No. 1 golfers from each team playing each other, No. 2 vs. No. 2, etc. First-round pairings are Cal Poly vs. Seattle, Fresno State against CSU Bakersfield, Utah State vs. Weber State and Northern Colorado against Cal Poly's "B" team.
The first round will be held Thursday starting at 7:30 a.m. PT, with the semifinals set for Thursday at 1 p.m. PT. The finals will tee off Friday at 7:30 a.m. PT.
Competing for the Aggies will be senior Kris Sayer, juniors Tanner Higham and Zach Waxler, and freshmen Seokwon Jeon and Reed Platke.
Utah State finished in fifth place at last year’s Cal Poly Match Play Challenge as it lost to Fresno State, 5-0, in the opening round before defeating Cal Poly’s “B” team, 3.5-1.5, in the second round. USU then posted a 3.0-2.0 win against Towson in the consolation finals. Higham is the only current Aggie who played at last year’s tournament and won two of his three matches.
Utah State has participated in two tournaments thus far this spring as it finished tied for sixth at the Southern Utah hosted Pat Hicks Thunderbird Invitational, while also placing sixth at the Cal State Fullerton hosted Folino Invitational.
Higham leads Utah State with a stroke average of 73.15 in 20 rounds this year, while Jeon has a stroke average of 74.35 in 20 rounds as well. Platke has a stroke average of 75.10 in 20 rounds, Sayer has a stroke average of 77.41 in 17 rounds, and Waxler has a stroke average of 77.80 in five rounds.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 125
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 72
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 52
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 51
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37