Sisters Payton and Bailey Hart spurred the Bountiful Braves past the Clearfield Falcons in a softball matchup between last year’s top Region 6 teams. The sisters accounted for five hits and five runs in the Braves' 10-4 win.
Trailing for only the second time all year, the Braves erupted for seven runs in the bottom of the second inning to take a 7-2 lead. Coach Butch Latey said the Braves “hit the ball hard.” During the inning, the Braves strung together eight hits, including hits by Caramae Fackrell, Landi Hawker, Kinley Trowbridge and Sydney Austin.
But the key hit came from Payton Hart, who drove in two runs on a hard-hit ball up the middle to give the Braves their first lead.
The Falcons scored first, striking on a massive two-run homer by sophomore Lexi Anderson. “She loves the game and plays hard,” Falcons coach Nicole Tindall said of Anderson.
Clearfield rallied for two runs in the fifth inning and had two runners on base with one out. Braves stand-out pitcher Belle Stoddard bore down and struck out two straight batters to end the inning. "Mentally she came back,” Latey said of Stoddard, and effectively ended all hopes of the Falcons coming back.
The end of the game came on a screaming line drive to center field. Running at full speed, Bailey Hart dove and made a spectacular catch for the final out.
"I love playing with (Bailey)," Payton Hart said of her sister, adding with a smile, "most of the time. We keep each other competitive and push each other to do better.”
Bountiful, which improved to 8-1 with the win, next faces arch-rival Woods Cross on the road Thursday afternoon.
J. David Pearce is general counsel with Beneficial Life Insurance Co.
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting, Miami...
- After year layoff, BYU's Kurtz happy to be...
- Jazz grind out impressive 93-82 win in Memphis
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for BYU; 10...
- It was historic weekend for BYU basketball...
- Morning links: Jazz's sudden rise; SI breaks...
- 1A boys basketball tournament: Live streams...
- Monarchs announce new stadium proposal in...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 73
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 51
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 40