MIDVALE — A man accused of aiming a sawed-off shotgun at police two days after being released from jail was charged Tuesday with attempted murder.
Sergio Garcia, 20, faces the first-degree felony charge in addition to charges of theft by receiving stolen property and carrying a concealed dangerous weapon, second-degree felonies, and failure to respond to an officer, a third-degree felony.
Police attempted to stop Garcia's vehicle about 2 a.m. on March 17 for having expired registration. As the officer approached the car near 7950 S. Allen Street, Garcia, who was a passenger, got out carrying a sawed-off shotgun and moved toward the back of the vehicle, the charges filed in 3rd District Court state.
As the officer retreated, Garcia allegedly took aim. The officer fired twice, and Garcia pointed his gun back at the officer once more before eventually returning the vehicle and attempting to escape, this time as the driver, according to the charging documents.
When the vehicle struck a parked car, police say Garcia fled on foot. He was found hiding a short distance away and was arrested. The shotgun used in the incident had been reported stolen by Tooele police, according to the charges.
Following an argument the night before, family members had contacted police to report that Garcia had left their home with a gun. However, the officer was unaware of the connection when he attempted to pull the vehicle over.
- Boulder slams into Rockville home, killing two
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in ongoing...
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Orangeville couple killed in head-on crash
- Bodies of couple killed in rock slide recovered
- Ex-nurse accused of sexually abusing,...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Former West Valley City women's clinic owner...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 38
- Do Utah high school students need four... 32
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in... 25
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 20
- Young adults are faced with risky... 18
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11
- Nurse threatened to kill patient after... 9