Man charged with threatening officer with sawed-off shotgun
MIDVALE — A man accused of aiming a sawed-off shotgun at police two days after being released from jail was charged Tuesday with attempted murder.
Sergio Garcia, 20, faces the first-degree felony charge in addition to charges of theft by receiving stolen property and carrying a concealed dangerous weapon, second-degree felonies, and failure to respond to an officer, a third-degree felony.
Police attempted to stop Garcia's vehicle about 2 a.m. on March 17 for having expired registration. As the officer approached the car near 7950 S. Allen Street, Garcia, who was a passenger, got out carrying a sawed-off shotgun and moved toward the back of the vehicle, the charges filed in 3rd District Court state.
As the officer retreated, Garcia allegedly took aim. The officer fired twice, and Garcia pointed his gun back at the officer once more before eventually returning the vehicle and attempting to escape, this time as the driver, according to the charging documents.
When the vehicle struck a parked car, police say Garcia fled on foot. He was found hiding a short distance away and was arrested. The shotgun used in the incident had been reported stolen by Tooele police, according to the charges.
Following an argument the night before, family members had contacted police to report that Garcia had left their home with a gun. However, the officer was unaware of the connection when he attempted to pull the vehicle over.
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- Hillcrest students, others show support for...
- New details in court reveal alleged shooter...
- Earthquake in eastern Nevada felt in St....
- Students wear green to honor 2 Hillcrest...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Despite rain, Utahns still have plenty of...
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally? 50
- Koch brothers group launches Utah chapter 42
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Legalize medical marijuana? Utahns... 28
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15