Weber State basketball: Wildcats looking to set more records in third-round rematch vs. Oral Roberts
Tom Smart, Deseret News
OGDEN — Weber State rewrote two notable records in its second-round matchup in the CollegeInsider.com tournament. Scott Bamforth passed Damian Lillard as WSU's all-time 3-point leader and the Wildcats' 28 wins marked the most in program and conference history.
Now, the Wildcats (28-6) have an opportunity to carve two more records in stone Wednesday against Oral Roberts (20-14) at 7 p.m. at the Dee Events Center. WSU, which has won 15 of 16 games, is currently 28 points shy of the highest single-season point total in program and Big Sky history and is tied for the most home wins in one year.
Eight teams remain in the CIT field, which will whittle down to five Tuesday night.
The Golden Eagles now have four players averaging double figures: Warren Niles (18.9 ppg, 4.1 rpg), Damen Bell-Holter (15.4 ppg, 9.4 rpg), Shawn Glover (14.3 ppg, 5.2 rpg) and Steven Roudtree (10 ppg, 6.3 rpg).
In an earlier meeting between Oral Roberts and Weber State this season, the Wildcats trailed at halftime but rallied for a 70-66 win Feb. 23 in Tulsa, Okla., behind a 68 percent second-half shooting performance that featured seven 3-pointers.
Kyle Tresnak, who scored 20 points against ORU, has averaged 20.5 points in the two CIT games and has shot 90.5 percent from the field (19 of 21).
Wildcats on the Air
College Insider.com Tournament Quarterfinals
Oral Roberts (20-14) at Weber State (28-6)
Wednesday, 7 p.m.
Dee Events Center, Ogden
Online video: watchcollegeinsider.com
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- 76ers take Ben Simmons with No. 1 pick in NBA...
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- NFL to interview Matthew, Peppers, Harrison...
- North Carolina AD: School will respond to...
- Championship ring: President calls Cavs coach...
- Items owned by gangster 'Whitey' Bulger to be...
- World doping watchdog shuts down Rio Olympic...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 164
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 41
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 34
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 32
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 22
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19