Weber State basketball: Wildcats looking to set more records in third-round rematch vs. Oral Roberts
Tom Smart, Deseret News
OGDEN — Weber State rewrote two notable records in its second-round matchup in the CollegeInsider.com tournament. Scott Bamforth passed Damian Lillard as WSU's all-time 3-point leader and the Wildcats' 28 wins marked the most in program and conference history.
Now, the Wildcats (28-6) have an opportunity to carve two more records in stone Wednesday against Oral Roberts (20-14) at 7 p.m. at the Dee Events Center. WSU, which has won 15 of 16 games, is currently 28 points shy of the highest single-season point total in program and Big Sky history and is tied for the most home wins in one year.
Eight teams remain in the CIT field, which will whittle down to five Tuesday night.
The Golden Eagles now have four players averaging double figures: Warren Niles (18.9 ppg, 4.1 rpg), Damen Bell-Holter (15.4 ppg, 9.4 rpg), Shawn Glover (14.3 ppg, 5.2 rpg) and Steven Roudtree (10 ppg, 6.3 rpg).
In an earlier meeting between Oral Roberts and Weber State this season, the Wildcats trailed at halftime but rallied for a 70-66 win Feb. 23 in Tulsa, Okla., behind a 68 percent second-half shooting performance that featured seven 3-pointers.
Kyle Tresnak, who scored 20 points against ORU, has averaged 20.5 points in the two CIT games and has shot 90.5 percent from the field (19 of 21).
Wildcats on the Air
College Insider.com Tournament Quarterfinals
Oral Roberts (20-14) at Weber State (28-6)
Wednesday, 7 p.m.
Dee Events Center, Ogden
Online video: watchcollegeinsider.com
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Rodney Hood, Dante Exum highlight Utah Jazz...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to be...
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield...
- Wasatch Academy basketball coach Geno Morgan...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven teams...
- BYU Cougars finish year with five ranked...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 97
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 82
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 52
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 31
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 27