Weber State basketball: Wildcats looking to set more records in third-round rematch vs. Oral Roberts
Tom Smart, Deseret News
OGDEN — Weber State rewrote two notable records in its second-round matchup in the CollegeInsider.com tournament. Scott Bamforth passed Damian Lillard as WSU's all-time 3-point leader and the Wildcats' 28 wins marked the most in program and conference history.
Now, the Wildcats (28-6) have an opportunity to carve two more records in stone Wednesday against Oral Roberts (20-14) at 7 p.m. at the Dee Events Center. WSU, which has won 15 of 16 games, is currently 28 points shy of the highest single-season point total in program and Big Sky history and is tied for the most home wins in one year.
Eight teams remain in the CIT field, which will whittle down to five Tuesday night.
The Golden Eagles now have four players averaging double figures: Warren Niles (18.9 ppg, 4.1 rpg), Damen Bell-Holter (15.4 ppg, 9.4 rpg), Shawn Glover (14.3 ppg, 5.2 rpg) and Steven Roudtree (10 ppg, 6.3 rpg).
In an earlier meeting between Oral Roberts and Weber State this season, the Wildcats trailed at halftime but rallied for a 70-66 win Feb. 23 in Tulsa, Okla., behind a 68 percent second-half shooting performance that featured seven 3-pointers.
Kyle Tresnak, who scored 20 points against ORU, has averaged 20.5 points in the two CIT games and has shot 90.5 percent from the field (19 of 21).
Wildcats on the Air
College Insider.com Tournament Quarterfinals
Oral Roberts (20-14) at Weber State (28-6)
Wednesday, 7 p.m.
Dee Events Center, Ogden
Online video: watchcollegeinsider.com
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20