Ute football: New name, same game for Utah defensive end Nate Orchard
“There’s plenty of talent on the defensive line. We just have to get down the fundamentals. That’s all it is,” Orchard said. “ ... It’s just going to take time, spring and fall, just to fine tune everything, and we should be good.”
By the time the season rolls around, Orchard is determined to add 20 pounds to his 6-foot-3, 245-pound frame.
“That’s my goal. I made a deal with coach Whit,” he said. “I promised him I’d be 265 and he wouldn’t have to worry about it. So I’m going to do it.”
Whittingham is counting on it.
“He did promise,” Whittingham said. “I’ve got a signed piece of paper from him that states that very thing.”
Although slowed a bit by a nagging shoulder and a nagging back in the offseason program, Orchard is making strides this spring.
“If we’re going to be good on defense he has to be an impact player for us,” Whittingham said.
EXTRA POINTS: Tuesday’s practice at Rice-Eccles Stadium was deemed “an average day” by Whittingham. He added that the Utes lost a little bit of their poise and composure at times during the first live work of camp. ... Whittingham said running backs Karl Williams and James Poole did a nice job in practice. He also noted that the cornerbacks continue to progress. ... Utah’s next spring practice is Thursday. ... Former Utes Steve Fifita and Spencer Toone attended practice. They are now assistant coaches at Idaho State.
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local had the...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Home hasn't been so sweet in Pac-12 play
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 56
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 44
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 38
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 22
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20