Ute football: New name, same game for Utah defensive end Nate Orchard
“There’s plenty of talent on the defensive line. We just have to get down the fundamentals. That’s all it is,” Orchard said. “ ... It’s just going to take time, spring and fall, just to fine tune everything, and we should be good.”
By the time the season rolls around, Orchard is determined to add 20 pounds to his 6-foot-3, 245-pound frame.
“That’s my goal. I made a deal with coach Whit,” he said. “I promised him I’d be 265 and he wouldn’t have to worry about it. So I’m going to do it.”
Whittingham is counting on it.
“He did promise,” Whittingham said. “I’ve got a signed piece of paper from him that states that very thing.”
Although slowed a bit by a nagging shoulder and a nagging back in the offseason program, Orchard is making strides this spring.
“If we’re going to be good on defense he has to be an impact player for us,” Whittingham said.
EXTRA POINTS: Tuesday’s practice at Rice-Eccles Stadium was deemed “an average day” by Whittingham. He added that the Utes lost a little bit of their poise and composure at times during the first live work of camp. ... Whittingham said running backs Karl Williams and James Poole did a nice job in practice. He also noted that the cornerbacks continue to progress. ... Utah’s next spring practice is Thursday. ... Former Utes Steve Fifita and Spencer Toone attended practice. They are now assistant coaches at Idaho State.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- Things won't get any easier for disappointed...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead, game to...
- Mike Sorensen: 5 reasons to be excited (or...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 280
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 87
- Things won't get any easier for... 64
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 50
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- Utah football pre-game day roundup:... 19