Ute football: New name, same game for Utah defensive end Nate Orchard
“There’s plenty of talent on the defensive line. We just have to get down the fundamentals. That’s all it is,” Orchard said. “ ... It’s just going to take time, spring and fall, just to fine tune everything, and we should be good.”
By the time the season rolls around, Orchard is determined to add 20 pounds to his 6-foot-3, 245-pound frame.
“That’s my goal. I made a deal with coach Whit,” he said. “I promised him I’d be 265 and he wouldn’t have to worry about it. So I’m going to do it.”
Whittingham is counting on it.
“He did promise,” Whittingham said. “I’ve got a signed piece of paper from him that states that very thing.”
Although slowed a bit by a nagging shoulder and a nagging back in the offseason program, Orchard is making strides this spring.
“If we’re going to be good on defense he has to be an impact player for us,” Whittingham said.
EXTRA POINTS: Tuesday’s practice at Rice-Eccles Stadium was deemed “an average day” by Whittingham. He added that the Utes lost a little bit of their poise and composure at times during the first live work of camp. ... Whittingham said running backs Karl Williams and James Poole did a nice job in practice. He also noted that the cornerbacks continue to progress. ... Utah’s next spring practice is Thursday. ... Former Utes Steve Fifita and Spencer Toone attended practice. They are now assistant coaches at Idaho State.
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- BYU football position preview: The...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 32
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25