"When I was in fifth grade I had the opportunity to attend Victor's Christa McAuliffe Space Center as a field trip," Gardiner said. "The experience captured my imagination and never let go.
"From that very young age I dreamed of expanding the magical experience so more children than ever before — young and old — could feel the exhilaration of adventure that I felt.
"This dream had a powerful influence on my life. It is one of the underlying motivations behind my education. I learned programming, graphic arts, design, 3D modeling, animation, storytelling, creative writing, and business — some through school, others self-taught — all in pursuit of this dream.
"Victor Williamson was a master at blending the disciplines, and Dream Flight Adventures exists so a new generation of kids can enjoy that transformative experience," he said.
"It's amazing, the power of the program," Williamson said.
"It was a huge student endeavor," Williamson said. "It was two-sided, the participants learned certain lessons and the students behind the scenes learned others.
"It's reaffirmed my belief that this kind of education is the wave of the future."
Space Center director retires
As the man behind the scenes at the Christa McAuliffe Space Education Center, Victor Williamson has built five spaceship simulators to make learning memorable and push the frontier of education.
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 70
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 56
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 40
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 39
- Tea party movement still strong,... 23
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 19
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 14
- Court battle settled over Susan Powell... 11