"When I was in fifth grade I had the opportunity to attend Victor's Christa McAuliffe Space Center as a field trip," Gardiner said. "The experience captured my imagination and never let go.
"From that very young age I dreamed of expanding the magical experience so more children than ever before — young and old — could feel the exhilaration of adventure that I felt.
"This dream had a powerful influence on my life. It is one of the underlying motivations behind my education. I learned programming, graphic arts, design, 3D modeling, animation, storytelling, creative writing, and business — some through school, others self-taught — all in pursuit of this dream.
"Victor Williamson was a master at blending the disciplines, and Dream Flight Adventures exists so a new generation of kids can enjoy that transformative experience," he said.
"It's amazing, the power of the program," Williamson said.
"It was a huge student endeavor," Williamson said. "It was two-sided, the participants learned certain lessons and the students behind the scenes learned others.
"It's reaffirmed my belief that this kind of education is the wave of the future."
Space Center director retires
As the man behind the scenes at the Christa McAuliffe Space Education Center, Victor Williamson has built five spaceship simulators to make learning memorable and push the frontier of education.
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Bomb threat pushes back first day of school...
- Couple struggling with fertility now...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for Amendment...
- Police investigate laser targeting aircraft...
- State asks for more time to file appeal in...
- Man accused of stabbing at Duchesne High...
- Tooele woman sentenced to prison for son's...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 45
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- Utah police agencies address... 32
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 23
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Elder Russell M. Nelson speaks to BYU... 20
- Condition of woman who drank toxic tea... 14
- First scores from SAGE testing expected... 13