"When I was in fifth grade I had the opportunity to attend Victor's Christa McAuliffe Space Center as a field trip," Gardiner said. "The experience captured my imagination and never let go.
"From that very young age I dreamed of expanding the magical experience so more children than ever before — young and old — could feel the exhilaration of adventure that I felt.
"This dream had a powerful influence on my life. It is one of the underlying motivations behind my education. I learned programming, graphic arts, design, 3D modeling, animation, storytelling, creative writing, and business — some through school, others self-taught — all in pursuit of this dream.
"Victor Williamson was a master at blending the disciplines, and Dream Flight Adventures exists so a new generation of kids can enjoy that transformative experience," he said.
"It's amazing, the power of the program," Williamson said.
"It was a huge student endeavor," Williamson said. "It was two-sided, the participants learned certain lessons and the students behind the scenes learned others.
"It's reaffirmed my belief that this kind of education is the wave of the future."
Space Center director retires
As the man behind the scenes at the Christa McAuliffe Space Education Center, Victor Williamson has built five spaceship simulators to make learning memorable and push the frontier of education.
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Rocky Mountain Power: Thousands on Wasatch...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- UDOT to release preliminary results of S.R....
- Walking tour, barbecue Saturday in Murray
- Utah communities still among fastest-growing...
- Photos: Oh, let's go fly ... a drone
- Photos: Subway treats the needy to lunch
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- 'Dirty soda' lawsuit calls shop's... 22
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 14
- Utah defends busting theater for... 12