USU track: Aggies begin 2013 outdoor season with three meets this week
Utah State men's and women's track and field teams open the 2013 outdoor season with three different meets this week including a trip to Austin, Texas, for the 86th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays on Wednesday and Thursday, March 27-28. Athletes will also travel to compete at the UVU Collegiate Invitational in Orem, Utah, on Friday, March 29, as well as the Stanford Invitational in Stanford, Calif., on Friday and Saturday, March 29-30.
"The thing we like about the way we did our opening of our season this year, is that it gives us time to recover from the indoor season before we start our outdoor season," USU head coach Gregg Gensel said. "We are actually chomping at the bit to get it going. The athletes are excited and I think this weekend can be a fun opener."
Action for the Texas Relays begins Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. MT with the women's heptathlon, while the men's decathlon starts at 10. Thursday's action kicks off at 9 a.m. with the conclusion of the men's decathlon as the women's heptathlon begins at 10 with the final three events.
The one-day UVU Collegiate begins Friday at 8:30 a.m. with the men's discus and is set to conclude with the 4x400m relays at approximately 4 p.m. The Stanford Invitational begins Friday with the field events at 10 a.m. followed by the running events starting at 12 p.m. On Saturday, both the running events and field events start at 10 a.m. with the meet set to conclude around 6 p.m.
Live results will be available for the Texas Relays and the Stanford Invitational by clicking on the 'Live Results' links on the track & field page on USU's website, as well as a schedule of events for all three meets.
USU's men finished third at the Western Athletic Conference Indoor Track & Field Championships, while the women finished seventh as a team. Freshman Briton Page led the Aggies with a WAC individual title in the 800m, while also joining senior Tyler Killpack, sophomore Eric Shellhorn and freshman Kalon Weston to win the distance medley relay WAC title.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18