BYU softball: PCSC names JC Clayton Player of the Week for third time
PROVO, Utah — Senior shortstop JC Clayton was named the Pacific Coast Softball Conference Player of the Week for the third time in five weeks.
Clayton had a record-breaking week for the Cougars to lead the team to a 5-0 record and a 4-0 start in conference play. She hit .368 and scored a run in all five games, including three runs in the team’s first match-up with San Diego. With her seven hits on the week she surpassed Angie Quiocho as the all-time hit leader at BYU. She now has 269 career hits and leads the conference with a season batting average of .419, 44 hits and 23 runs scored.
Clayton also had four stolen bases in the team’s last game against San Diego to break the single-game record for stolen bases at BYU. Her record of four stolen bases in a game also ties the PCSC single-game record.
Freshman right-hander Lujane Mussadi from Saint Mary’s earned her second Pitcher of the Week honor after going 2-0 last weekend. She pitched 21.2 innings and allowed just one earned run in the team’s four game series against Utah Valley.
Other top performers in the running for Player of the Week included CSU Bakersfield’s Laura King who hit .214 with one RBI, two runs scored and three triples, as well as Utah Valley’s Debra Lovell who was noticed for her .533 clip, one home run and two doubles.
Cougar pitcher Hannah Howell was nominated as another top performer for PCSC Pitcher of the Week alongside Utah Valley’s Josi Summers. Howell went 2-0 with a 0.93 ERA and 13 strikeouts, while Summers sported a 1.68 ERA and a 3-0 record.
BYU will host a three-game series against Houston in a non-conference match-up on Friday at 6 p.m. MDT and Saturday starting at 1 p.m. MDT.
Jamie Morris is the softball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 87
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8