BYU softball: PCSC names JC Clayton Player of the Week for third time
PROVO, Utah — Senior shortstop JC Clayton was named the Pacific Coast Softball Conference Player of the Week for the third time in five weeks.
Clayton had a record-breaking week for the Cougars to lead the team to a 5-0 record and a 4-0 start in conference play. She hit .368 and scored a run in all five games, including three runs in the team’s first match-up with San Diego. With her seven hits on the week she surpassed Angie Quiocho as the all-time hit leader at BYU. She now has 269 career hits and leads the conference with a season batting average of .419, 44 hits and 23 runs scored.
Clayton also had four stolen bases in the team’s last game against San Diego to break the single-game record for stolen bases at BYU. Her record of four stolen bases in a game also ties the PCSC single-game record.
Freshman right-hander Lujane Mussadi from Saint Mary’s earned her second Pitcher of the Week honor after going 2-0 last weekend. She pitched 21.2 innings and allowed just one earned run in the team’s four game series against Utah Valley.
Other top performers in the running for Player of the Week included CSU Bakersfield’s Laura King who hit .214 with one RBI, two runs scored and three triples, as well as Utah Valley’s Debra Lovell who was noticed for her .533 clip, one home run and two doubles.
Cougar pitcher Hannah Howell was nominated as another top performer for PCSC Pitcher of the Week alongside Utah Valley’s Josi Summers. Howell went 2-0 with a 0.93 ERA and 13 strikeouts, while Summers sported a 1.68 ERA and a 3-0 record.
BYU will host a three-game series against Houston in a non-conference match-up on Friday at 6 p.m. MDT and Saturday starting at 1 p.m. MDT.
Jamie Morris is the softball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 51
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 48
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45