BYU softball: PCSC names JC Clayton Player of the Week for third time
PROVO, Utah — Senior shortstop JC Clayton was named the Pacific Coast Softball Conference Player of the Week for the third time in five weeks.
Clayton had a record-breaking week for the Cougars to lead the team to a 5-0 record and a 4-0 start in conference play. She hit .368 and scored a run in all five games, including three runs in the team’s first match-up with San Diego. With her seven hits on the week she surpassed Angie Quiocho as the all-time hit leader at BYU. She now has 269 career hits and leads the conference with a season batting average of .419, 44 hits and 23 runs scored.
Clayton also had four stolen bases in the team’s last game against San Diego to break the single-game record for stolen bases at BYU. Her record of four stolen bases in a game also ties the PCSC single-game record.
Freshman right-hander Lujane Mussadi from Saint Mary’s earned her second Pitcher of the Week honor after going 2-0 last weekend. She pitched 21.2 innings and allowed just one earned run in the team’s four game series against Utah Valley.
Other top performers in the running for Player of the Week included CSU Bakersfield’s Laura King who hit .214 with one RBI, two runs scored and three triples, as well as Utah Valley’s Debra Lovell who was noticed for her .533 clip, one home run and two doubles.
Cougar pitcher Hannah Howell was nominated as another top performer for PCSC Pitcher of the Week alongside Utah Valley’s Josi Summers. Howell went 2-0 with a 0.93 ERA and 13 strikeouts, while Summers sported a 1.68 ERA and a 3-0 record.
BYU will host a three-game series against Houston in a non-conference match-up on Friday at 6 p.m. MDT and Saturday starting at 1 p.m. MDT.
Jamie Morris is the softball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 47
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28