"We just couldn't keep the ball out of Davies' hands," said Mercer coach Bob Hoffman. "He's a talented guy. We tried different things to keep the ball away from him, but we couldn't stop him. It is hard to come back when BYU was hitting 35- and 40-footers."
A couple of times, the Bears trailed by just five points, but the Cougars responded with another 3-pointer to push the lead back to double digits. BYU led by as many as 21 in the second half.
With less than five minutes left in the game, Davies went to the floor battling for a loose ball. He remained on the floor for a few moments and it appeared he was injured. Davies was taken to the locker room for evaluation. He returned to the game, however.
Afterward, Davies said he re-injured his finger, which was caught on the jersey of another player, on the play. "Nothing serious," Davies said.
Following the game, Davies and Carlino introduced themselves to one of the ESPN announcers — and basketball legend — Bill Walton.
"He said he liked the way that we played," Carlino said. "It was special to meet someone like that."
NOTES: BYU has now won seven straight NIT home games. Davies now has 1,655 career points, moving him into 10th all time in school history. Davies is now in the top 10 in BYU history in scoring (10th), rebounding (7th), steals (9th) and blocks (5th).
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 91
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 76
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 50
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 36