Hours later, David saw his brother’s smile again and the family learned that the surgery had been a tremendous success.
One month later, after willing himself through the rigorous tests, Danny beat the odds and resumed his work as an FBI agent in Puerto Rico.
Then in 2010, Danny was a key player in the largest police corruption sting in the FBI's 102-year history. In a single day, Operation Guard Shack netted 133 individuals, including 89 law enforcement officers in a two-year probe over police protection for drug dealers in Puerto Rico.
Danny’s role in the historic bust earned him the 2011 FBI Director’s Award for Outstanding Criminal Investigation and the 2011 Attorney General’s Award for Excellence in Law Enforcement.
For most, the experience of saving a sibling's life and resuming a career at the highest level would have been the pinnacle of a good life well lived. But for humble Danny, a man who constantly deflected the spotlight to others, there was another miracle to come and a new life to save back on an island he'd learned to love.
In fact, Danny Knapp was just getting started.
Jason F. Wright is a New York Times best-selling author of 10 books, including "Christmas Jars," "The Wednesday Letters," and "The 96th Annual Apple Valley Barn Dance." He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or jasonfwright.com.
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 90
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 49
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 27
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 22
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 21
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 21
- Space and religion: How believers view... 18
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 12