The BYU Cougars defeated the Mercer Bears Monday night in Provo, 90-71, to advance to the quarterfinals of the National Invitation Tournament.
BYU had a storming start, going up by 28-11 early on. Mercer managed to cut that lead down to just nine before halftime. However, it was not long until BYU regained control of the game in the second half, and ultimately Mercer had no chance to get back into it.
Brandon Davies was at the core of BYU's offense, scoring 26 points to move to 10th on BYU's all-time scoring list. The senior also picked up 10 rebounds on the night. Tyler Haws had a slow start by his standards, but came out in the second half to score 24 points for the game. Matt Carlino was also shooting well, scoring 18 points and providing nine assists for the Cougars.
The Cougars will now face the winner of the match between No. 1 seed Southern Miss and Louisiana Tech.
Read on for some of the best tweets from the night as Cougar nation reacts to a welcome victory and some curious commentating from ESPN's Bill Walton.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30