The BYU Cougars defeated the Mercer Bears Monday night in Provo, 90-71, to advance to the quarterfinals of the National Invitation Tournament.
BYU had a storming start, going up by 28-11 early on. Mercer managed to cut that lead down to just nine before halftime. However, it was not long until BYU regained control of the game in the second half, and ultimately Mercer had no chance to get back into it.
Brandon Davies was at the core of BYU's offense, scoring 26 points to move to 10th on BYU's all-time scoring list. The senior also picked up 10 rebounds on the night. Tyler Haws had a slow start by his standards, but came out in the second half to score 24 points for the game. Matt Carlino was also shooting well, scoring 18 points and providing nine assists for the Cougars.
The Cougars will now face the winner of the match between No. 1 seed Southern Miss and Louisiana Tech.
Read on for some of the best tweets from the night as Cougar nation reacts to a welcome victory and some curious commentating from ESPN's Bill Walton.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33