The BYU Cougars defeated the Mercer Bears Monday night in Provo, 90-71, to advance to the quarterfinals of the National Invitation Tournament.
BYU had a storming start, going up by 28-11 early on. Mercer managed to cut that lead down to just nine before halftime. However, it was not long until BYU regained control of the game in the second half, and ultimately Mercer had no chance to get back into it.
Brandon Davies was at the core of BYU's offense, scoring 26 points to move to 10th on BYU's all-time scoring list. The senior also picked up 10 rebounds on the night. Tyler Haws had a slow start by his standards, but came out in the second half to score 24 points for the game. Matt Carlino was also shooting well, scoring 18 points and providing nine assists for the Cougars.
The Cougars will now face the winner of the match between No. 1 seed Southern Miss and Louisiana Tech.
Read on for some of the best tweets from the night as Cougar nation reacts to a welcome victory and some curious commentating from ESPN's Bill Walton.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things to ponder as the Aggies head to fall...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 107
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 53
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 42
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21