The BYU Cougars defeated the Mercer Bears Monday night in Provo, 90-71, to advance to the quarterfinals of the National Invitation Tournament.
BYU had a storming start, going up by 28-11 early on. Mercer managed to cut that lead down to just nine before halftime. However, it was not long until BYU regained control of the game in the second half, and ultimately Mercer had no chance to get back into it.
Brandon Davies was at the core of BYU's offense, scoring 26 points to move to 10th on BYU's all-time scoring list. The senior also picked up 10 rebounds on the night. Tyler Haws had a slow start by his standards, but came out in the second half to score 24 points for the game. Matt Carlino was also shooting well, scoring 18 points and providing nine assists for the Cougars.
The Cougars will now face the winner of the match between No. 1 seed Southern Miss and Louisiana Tech.
Read on for some of the best tweets from the night as Cougar nation reacts to a welcome victory and some curious commentating from ESPN's Bill Walton.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 105
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 19