The BYU Cougars defeated the Mercer Bears Monday night in Provo, 90-71, to advance to the quarterfinals of the National Invitation Tournament.
BYU had a storming start, going up by 28-11 early on. Mercer managed to cut that lead down to just nine before halftime. However, it was not long until BYU regained control of the game in the second half, and ultimately Mercer had no chance to get back into it.
Brandon Davies was at the core of BYU's offense, scoring 26 points to move to 10th on BYU's all-time scoring list. The senior also picked up 10 rebounds on the night. Tyler Haws had a slow start by his standards, but came out in the second half to score 24 points for the game. Matt Carlino was also shooting well, scoring 18 points and providing nine assists for the Cougars.
The Cougars will now face the winner of the match between No. 1 seed Southern Miss and Louisiana Tech.
Read on for some of the best tweets from the night as Cougar nation reacts to a welcome victory and some curious commentating from ESPN's Bill Walton.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28