Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Actor, director and Sundance Institute founder Robert Redford will address students during Westminster College's 2013 commencement ceremonies, school officials announced Monday.
The ceremony will be held June 1 at the Maverik Center in West Valley City, where more than 900 students are expected to receive diplomas.
"Westminster is excited to welcome a commencement speaker with a passion for broadening the creative mind, provoking thought, and encouraging social responsibility," Westminster President Brian Levin-Stankevich said in a prepared statement. "Robert Redford’s passionate commitment to social justice will be an exciting model for our graduates.”
Redford's decades-long career in film includes memorable roles in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "The Sting," "The Horse Whisperer," and many others. He has been nominated for several Academy Awards, including a win in 1981 for directing "Ordinary People" and an honorary award in 2002 for his contribution to film.
Redford is also known for his role as founder and president of the Sundance Institute, which is based in Utah and manages the annual Sundance Film Festival in Park City, as well as his efforts as an environmental activist.
Westminster College is a private, liberal arts college located in the Sugar House area of Salt Lake City. It was founded in 1875 and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in 70 academic programs to roughly 3,300 students.
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- What went right: How one Orem family turned...
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- Herriman man says his brain tumor felt like a...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 48
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 37
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 33
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 16
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12
- Salt Lake police looking for horses,... 10
- Survey: Utah residents want crops, not... 10
- National report shows high overall... 9