"THE PARABLE OF THE MARINADE: A Recipe for a Delicious Life," by John Bytheway, Deseret Book, $15.99, 56 minutes
We are all marinating in something.
That's the idea behind author and speaker John Bytheway's latest talk on CD, "The Parable of the Marinade: A Recipe for a Delicious Life."
Just as soaking chicken in marinade before a barbecue can increase its flavor, "marinading" in great music, positive feelings, good literature and uplifting company can enrich a person's life.
"Whether we realize it or not, or whether we believe it or not, we are all marinating in something," Bytheway said in the 56-minute talk. "You will eventually become what you surround yourself with. ... If the proverb is true, 'He who walketh with wise men shall be wise' (Proverbs 13:20), wouldn't we want to surround ourselves with the very best in friends, music, media and so forth?"
Many people will spend more time planning a surprise party than they will planning their whole life, Bytheway said. To rethink your priorities and personal marinade, start by asking yourself questions like these:
What does my personal marinade have me thinking about?
Where do the things I surround myself with have me going?
What does my marinade have me becoming?
Am I becoming what I want to become?
"It's not rocket science," Bytheway said. "Like they say, if you continue to think like you've always thought, you'll continue to get what you've always got."
Bytheway served a mission in the Philippines and later graduated from Brigham Young University. A favorite speaker and teacher, he holds a master's degree in religious education and is a part-time instructor at BYU. He is the author of many best-selling books, audio talks and DVDs. He and his wife, Kimberly, have six children.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Dog reacts to LDS missionary returning home...
- LDS missionaries reunite man with his lost...
- 'My mission in 5 minutes': Sister missionary...
- Story of LDS man who forgave drunk driver for...
- Mentor to Brandon Mull, James Dashner chose...
- Jewish woman launches modest online...
- LDS Family Services providing free online...
- NYC churches go on the market, leaving...
- Why I make my kids go to church 56
- Netanyahu speech deepens rift between... 27
- Dog reacts to LDS missionary returning... 15
- K2 The Church's grand opening a... 12
- Doug Robinson: A Boy Scout for 75 years... 7
- Elder Holland discusses religious... 7
- LDS Family Services providing free... 6
- 'My mission in 5 minutes': Sister... 4