J Pat Carter, AP
The hope of employment is increasing in Utah, according to a release from the Utah Department of Workforce Services.
For February, the unemployment rate was at 5.2 percent, down .2 percent from January’s 5.4 percent unemployment rate.
Utah remains far below the national unemployment rate. In February, the national rate edged slightly lower but is still 7.7 percent — about 12 million people who are unemployed.
Over the past year, Utah has increased jobs by 49,200. Trade, transportation and utility jobs were a major contributor to the decreased unemployment. Over the past year, this industry created 10,600 new jobs.
Jobs in information grew the greatest, percentage-wise. Now including 34,000 jobs, it grew 11.5 percent from the year previous.
Although it created the least new jobs, the government added about 800 positions, which was more than anticipated. Most of these jobs are in state colleges and universities.
- The 10 most livable small towns
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Most American high schoolers don't know how...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Does getting married really increase wealth...
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make you...
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 13
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 5
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Consumers are padding their checking... 2
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make... 2
- Teen drivers hike Utah car insurance 89... 2
- Before you head off on your vacation,... 2
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,... 1