Girl, 11, awaiting plastic surgery after being attacked by dog
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — A young girl attacked by a pit bull at a family event was awaiting plastic surgery Sunday.
The 11-year-old girl's uncle was holding a family gathering at his home near 7100 South and 2800 East Saturday and had put his dog in a back room, Cottonwood Heights Police Sgt. Gary Young said. The young girl, not knowing the dog was in the room, opened the door and was attacked around 1 p.m.
The girl was transported to Primary Children's Medical Center for "fairly extensive facial injuries," but was doing well and awaiting plastic surgery Sunday, Young said. The girl's uncle called police to report the incident and ask that animal control take the dog.
"The owner has indicated he would like the dog put down because of the attack," Young said.
No charges will be filed in the incident, because the owner had taken precautions to keep the dog secure, Young said. He did not know what may have prompted the dog to attack or how long the man had owned the animal.
"Unfortunately the 11-year-old opened the wrong door at the wrong time and the dog attacked her," Young said. "It's a tragic incident."
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 80
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 30
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 15
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13