The Dallas Morning News, Mark M. Hancock) MANDATORY CREDIT; MAGS OUT; TV OUT; INTERNET OUT; AP MEMBERS ONLY, Associated Press
Five RSL players were missing due to involvement in international games for World Cup qualifiers, while six others were out either because of injuries or illness.
Kyle Beckerman, Tony Beltran and Nick Rimando were all with the U.S. team, while defender Abdoulie Mansally and forward Alvaro Saborio were playing with Gambia and Costa Rica, respectively.
Other players out with injuries included Javier Morales, Chris Wingert, Carlos Salcedo, David Viana and Rich Balchan, while Sebastian Velasquez wasn’t available because of illness.
RSL’s makeshift lineup included just five regular starters among the 11, with five players making their first start for RSL, including Josh Saunders at goalkeeper.
“I don’t remember too many times or teams that had 11 players not able to play in the match and that’s what we had tonight,’’ Kreis said. “So credit to the other 19 that were available for the game and I thought they fought extremely hard.’’
“We’re still all pros and whoever you put on the field you expect them to do a job,’’ said Saunders. “But the effort the guys put forward was so commendable. We kept them out for so long and created some chances.’’
Dallas was also missing four players, who were off with their international teams.
SNOW GAME: Four RSL players were involved in that “snow game” in Denver Thursday night when USA defeated Costa Rica 1-0 and Costa Rica protested because of all the snow the teams were forced to play in. Saborio played all 90 minutes and had two shots on goal, while Beckerman played just one minute. Beltran and Rimando didn’t get in the game.
SEITZ IN GOAL: Chris Seitz, who played for Real Salt Lake from 2007 to 2009 mostly as a backup goalkeeper, got his first start for Dallas Saturday since last May and kept RSL out of the net.
Seitz got the opportunity because Raul Fernandez, who started the first three Dallas games in goal, is away with the Peruvian national team. He came up with four saves, two in each half, including a big one against Robbie Findley when it was 1-0.
It was the second shutout of Seitz’s career and first since August ’09 against Sporting KC when he was a member of RSL.
GAME NOTES: RSL has never won in the state of Texas, going 0-19-3 against Dallas and Houston. After Saturday’s defeat, Real now has an 0-9-2 mark against Dallas in Texas in MLS play and is 0-13-2 in all competitions. ... Last year RSL and Dallas tied 1-1 in Dallas. In Utah, RSL won 3-2 in May, but lost 2-1 in August on a goal by David Ferreira in the 94th minute. ... RSL returns to Dallas on July 13 and will play at home against Dallas on Oct. 5. ... An hour after the game, a downpour hit the stadium.
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- WCC Championship game tale of the tape, BYU...
- San Francisco coach apologizes for postgame...
- BYU football: Bronson Kaufusi excited about...
- BYU basketball: Tyler Haws passes Russell...
- BYU report card vs. San Francisco: Cougars...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 83
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 33
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 31
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24