USU softball: Aggies drops pair to conclude weekend series with San Jose State Saturday
Utah State softball dropped its final two games on Saturday against San Jose State in a three-game weekend series. USU fell 8-0 in six innings to open Saturday’s action, while SJSU rode the momentum gained in the first game of the day to defeat the Aggies, 4-1, in the series finale.
In the opening game of the day, the Spartans scored six unanswered runs through four innings of action. Utah State failed to gain any offensive traction against the home team’s starting pitcher Amanda Pridmore.
San Jose State plated two more runs in the bottom of the sixth to finalize the score 8-0 through six innings. Taking the loss for Utah State was freshman pitcher Noelle Johnson, who falls to 2-8 this season.
In the final game of the day, Pridmore once again limited what USU was able to do at the plate, leading her team to a 4-1 series finale victory.
The Aggies single-run was produced when junior infielder Allison Lenzora legged out a single and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt from freshman infielder Sarah Chow. Lenzora came in to score as junior outfielder Kassandra Uchida drove a line drive into left-center field for a double.
Utah State scattered five hits in the loss with no player able to capture more than one hit.
Pridmore captured her third win of the weekend, while Utah State starting pitcher senior Mandy Harmon was charged with the loss and is now 1-16 on the year. USU is now 5-25 overall this season and 0-3 to start its eighth and final season in the Western Athletic Conference, while San Jose State is now 22-10 on the year and 3-0 in conference play.
Utah State will next be in action on Friday, March 29, as it continues WAC action with a match-up with New Mexico State. It will be USU’s season opener as its scheduled home opener against Utah was postponed due to rain.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 110
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 68
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 67
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 37
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37