USU softball: Aggies drops pair to conclude weekend series with San Jose State Saturday
Utah State softball dropped its final two games on Saturday against San Jose State in a three-game weekend series. USU fell 8-0 in six innings to open Saturday’s action, while SJSU rode the momentum gained in the first game of the day to defeat the Aggies, 4-1, in the series finale.
In the opening game of the day, the Spartans scored six unanswered runs through four innings of action. Utah State failed to gain any offensive traction against the home team’s starting pitcher Amanda Pridmore.
San Jose State plated two more runs in the bottom of the sixth to finalize the score 8-0 through six innings. Taking the loss for Utah State was freshman pitcher Noelle Johnson, who falls to 2-8 this season.
In the final game of the day, Pridmore once again limited what USU was able to do at the plate, leading her team to a 4-1 series finale victory.
The Aggies single-run was produced when junior infielder Allison Lenzora legged out a single and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt from freshman infielder Sarah Chow. Lenzora came in to score as junior outfielder Kassandra Uchida drove a line drive into left-center field for a double.
Utah State scattered five hits in the loss with no player able to capture more than one hit.
Pridmore captured her third win of the weekend, while Utah State starting pitcher senior Mandy Harmon was charged with the loss and is now 1-16 on the year. USU is now 5-25 overall this season and 0-3 to start its eighth and final season in the Western Athletic Conference, while San Jose State is now 22-10 on the year and 3-0 in conference play.
Utah State will next be in action on Friday, March 29, as it continues WAC action with a match-up with New Mexico State. It will be USU’s season opener as its scheduled home opener against Utah was postponed due to rain.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28