MORAGA, Calif. - Utah Valley University got the Pacific Coast Softball season underway Saturday, splitting a pair of games against Saint Mary's at Cottrell Field. UVU fell 5-1 in the day's first game but answered with a 3-1 victory in the second attempt.
In their game two win, the Wolverines (15-10, 1-1) broke a scoreless tie with a run in the top of the fourth inning. Leading off the frame with a double, first baseman Amanda Robinson eventually came around to score after the SMC (8-18, 1-1) right fielder misplayed a Krystin Jachim single.
With its slim, 1-0 lead still intact headed into the fifth, UVU tacked on two more. Catcher Jamie North led off the frame in a big way, blasting her first home run of the season to double the lead. North and Jachim each finished the game 2-for-3 at the plate.
Working through 5.0 innings, Summers improved to 5-5 while allowing just one earned run and striking out six Gaels. Mills came on for the sixth and seventh innings, striking out three of her own on her way to her third save on the year.
"Josi pitched great and it's always nice to have Tiffany on hand to come in and close the door," said head coach Rachel Hartgrove of the win. "We had some timely hitting today as well and we were able to get the runs across when we needed them."
In game one, UVU was undone by a four-run bottom of the fifth inning. With the score knotted at 1-1, SMC blew the game open as five consecutive Gaels reached base safely. Mills (6-5) hit three batters in the frame, and SMC's Megan Smith came through with the big hit in the inning, driving in a pair with a bases-loaded single.
"Obviously the one big inning is what cost us in the first game," Hartgrove said. "I thought our bats were there, but we may have been a little too aggressive on the base paths. I think that cost us a few runs."
Third baseman Debra Lovell was the only Wolverine to post multiple hits in game one, going 2-for-2 with a pair of singles.
Utah Valley and Saint Mary's resume the PCSC-opening series Sunday with another doubleheader. The first game begins at 1 p.m. MT.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will...
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU fans...
- Nicholls State assistant football coach is...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- Reports: Former BYU star Brett Keisel agrees...
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- Rock On: BYU soccer star gone, not forgotten
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 131
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 92
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 70
- ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as... 64
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 44
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 40
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29