Tom Smart, Deseret News
Real Salt Lake had a poor second half to lose by two goals to none against FC Dallas Saturday night.
Much of the first half was dominated by FC Dallas, whose best chance came in the 21st minute, when Nat Borchers cleared a Kenny Cooper shot off the line. They continued their dominance in the second half, but this time managed to convert when Fabian Castillo scored with a left-footed shot inside the box in the 72nd minute.
RSL tried to respond with more positive attacking play, but the game was effectively over when Josh Saunders, who had an otherwise solid game, took an ill-advised second touch from a Lovel Palmer back-pass. Dallas' Jackson capitalized and scored after an easy tackle on Saunders. Yordany Alvarez was then sent off, receiving a second yellow card for simulation, making it impossible for RSL to get back into the game.
Many of RSL's best moments came through Robbie Findlay, who is one of the few starters not absent from the team for the international break. However, Real struggled to get anything in the way of clear cut chances until 77 minutes, when substitute Devon Sandoval had a shot tipped away by Matt Hedges after Findlay had a shot saved by Chris Seitz in the Dallas goal.
Real Salt Lake was hoping to get their first win in the Lone Star State since joining the MLS in 2005. They will now be grateful to see the end of the international break, missing five players on Saturday, including Kyle Beckerman, Nick Rimando, Tony Beltran, Alvaro Saborio and Abdoulie Mansally.
RSL was also missing a further four players to injury, but received a boost from the return of Nat Borchers. Goalkeeper Josh Saunders had his first start for the Claret and Cobalt, but it may be one to forget.
Real Salt Lake now sits sixth in the Western Conference after four games.
Read on for some of the tweets of the night as RSL fans react to a heartbreaking loss in Dallas.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 29
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 21