BYU golf: Blair vaults Cougars to first place after two rounds
BYU shot an even-par 284 during the second round to remain at nine-under-par for the tournament. BYU's 559 (-9) combined team score through 36 holes puts the Cougars in sole possession of first place, one stroke ahead of No. 20 Illinois (-8) and four strokes ahead of third-place Baylor (-5).
“We ended up shooting even-par and that was good enough to keep us in a one-shot lead,” BYU head coach Bruce Brockbank said. “We had a mediocre day, but our one and two guys, Zac and Justin, really were tough out there with the conditions and shooting those scores kept us in it.”
Coming off a first-round 66 (-5), Blair continued his strong play and shot a second-round 68 (-3). He remains tied for second place at eight-under-par, two strokes behind individual leader Hunter Sparks of Wichita State (-10).
Keiley had another consistent round for the Cougars, finishing the second round with a 69 (-2). At three-under-par on the tournament, Keiley currently sits in a four-way tie for seventh place.
Sophomore Devon Purser and junior Jordan Hammer shot a 72 (+1) and 75 (+4), respectively, during round two. Purser is tied for 32nd place at one-over-par through 36 holes, while Hammer is tied for 65th at six-over-par.
Freshman Joe Parkinson shot a second-round 76 (+5) and stands in 40th place at two-over-par.
BYU will look to capitalize on its first place standing during tomorrow’s third and final round to win its first team title of the season.
“I’m excited about the opportunity, because we’ve had chances to win, but we’ve had to come from behind,” Brockbank said. “This will be a whole different type of pressure and it will be interesting to see how some our young guys handle it.”
T2 Zac Blair 66, 68, -8
T7 Justin Keiley 70, 69, -3
T32 Devon Purser 71, 72, +1
T40 Joe Parkinson 68, 76, +2
T65 Jordan Hammer 73, 75, +6
1 Brigham Young, -9
2 Illinois, -8
3 Baylor, -5
T4 Tulsa, -4
T4 Wichita State, -4
6 Denver, -3
7 Colorado State, -2
8 Nebraska, -1
9 Idaho, +1
10 Air Force, +5
T11 Kansas, +6
T11 Southern Utah, +6
13 New Mexico State, +8
14 Kansas State, +14
15 Boise State, +15
16 Wyoming, +22
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Will BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson play vs....
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks about...
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- The good, the bad and the most likely:...
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on the...
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks off...
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in...
- College football predictions: How will... 136
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 62
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 56
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 46
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 39
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36