BYU golf: Blair vaults Cougars to first place after two rounds
BYU shot an even-par 284 during the second round to remain at nine-under-par for the tournament. BYU's 559 (-9) combined team score through 36 holes puts the Cougars in sole possession of first place, one stroke ahead of No. 20 Illinois (-8) and four strokes ahead of third-place Baylor (-5).
“We ended up shooting even-par and that was good enough to keep us in a one-shot lead,” BYU head coach Bruce Brockbank said. “We had a mediocre day, but our one and two guys, Zac and Justin, really were tough out there with the conditions and shooting those scores kept us in it.”
Coming off a first-round 66 (-5), Blair continued his strong play and shot a second-round 68 (-3). He remains tied for second place at eight-under-par, two strokes behind individual leader Hunter Sparks of Wichita State (-10).
Keiley had another consistent round for the Cougars, finishing the second round with a 69 (-2). At three-under-par on the tournament, Keiley currently sits in a four-way tie for seventh place.
Sophomore Devon Purser and junior Jordan Hammer shot a 72 (+1) and 75 (+4), respectively, during round two. Purser is tied for 32nd place at one-over-par through 36 holes, while Hammer is tied for 65th at six-over-par.
Freshman Joe Parkinson shot a second-round 76 (+5) and stands in 40th place at two-over-par.
BYU will look to capitalize on its first place standing during tomorrow’s third and final round to win its first team title of the season.
“I’m excited about the opportunity, because we’ve had chances to win, but we’ve had to come from behind,” Brockbank said. “This will be a whole different type of pressure and it will be interesting to see how some our young guys handle it.”
T2 Zac Blair 66, 68, -8
T7 Justin Keiley 70, 69, -3
T32 Devon Purser 71, 72, +1
T40 Joe Parkinson 68, 76, +2
T65 Jordan Hammer 73, 75, +6
1 Brigham Young, -9
2 Illinois, -8
3 Baylor, -5
T4 Tulsa, -4
T4 Wichita State, -4
6 Denver, -3
7 Colorado State, -2
8 Nebraska, -1
9 Idaho, +1
10 Air Force, +5
T11 Kansas, +6
T11 Southern Utah, +6
13 New Mexico State, +8
14 Kansas State, +14
15 Boise State, +15
16 Wyoming, +22
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters BYU's...
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating from...
- Brad Rock: Jazz: Sign Gordon Hayward to avoid...
- Bubba Watson, two-time Masters Golf...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with one-year...
- Roster rundown: See the contract status and...
- Utah Jazz: Reflecting back on a rough...
- Salt Lake Marathon changes owners, course and...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 89
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 60
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 59
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 55
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 54
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24