Activity 8: Print a chart
Fan charts are a visual way to display family history. It's simple to create and print by going online to CreateFan. They are also free.
Activity 9: Use social media
Social media is one of the best ways to stay in touch with family members. Family members can share photos, images, documents and articles about ancestors with by simply posting them on a page. Most social network sites allow people to adjust settings so only family members see posts. Some of the most popular social media sites are Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. JustFamily is a place to connect with family members and build a family tree together.
Activity 10: Help make records searchable by indexing
Using FamilySearch, anyone who wants to help preserve valuable family information can easily extract it from historical records and provide free searchable indexes. All of this can be done from the convenience of home by following these steps:
1. Go to FamilySearch.org/indexing and click the "Get Started" button to download the indexing program.
2. Sign in to FamilySearch.
3. Select a batch of 10-50 records to download.
4. Copy key information from the records to the computer
5. Submit the copied information back to FamilySearch.
Kylie Lewis is an intern for the Deseret News, where she writes for Mormon Times and does other feature articles. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho, with a bachelor's degree in communications.
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground on...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 172
- Why I don’t call myself a... 95
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 64
- General Women's Session focuses on... 29
- State bills to protect religious... 22
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 17
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground... 15
- Indiana Gov. Mike Pence: ‘Not... 13