Activity 8: Print a chart
Fan charts are a visual way to display family history. It's simple to create and print by going online to CreateFan. They are also free.
Activity 9: Use social media
Social media is one of the best ways to stay in touch with family members. Family members can share photos, images, documents and articles about ancestors with by simply posting them on a page. Most social network sites allow people to adjust settings so only family members see posts. Some of the most popular social media sites are Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. JustFamily is a place to connect with family members and build a family tree together.
Activity 10: Help make records searchable by indexing
Using FamilySearch, anyone who wants to help preserve valuable family information can easily extract it from historical records and provide free searchable indexes. All of this can be done from the convenience of home by following these steps:
1. Go to FamilySearch.org/indexing and click the "Get Started" button to download the indexing program.
2. Sign in to FamilySearch.
3. Select a batch of 10-50 records to download.
4. Copy key information from the records to the computer
5. Submit the copied information back to FamilySearch.
Kylie Lewis is an intern for the Deseret News, where she writes for Mormon Times and does other feature articles. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho, with a bachelor's degree in communications.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Leading Jordanian Muslim and Christian...
- Police arrest man who posed as Mormon...
- A year later: Humanitarian Bishnu Adhikari...
- LDS YouTube family, the Shaytards, featured...
- Chris Williams shares about the power of...
- Sherry Young: Dreams of these three people...
- UTubers: Lindsey Stirling and Lexi Walker...
- Workers removing Ten Commandments from... 49
- Sunday School leader apologizes for... 39
- Lois M. Collins: The 'death' of faith... 37
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 23
- The spiritual revolution taking place... 20
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17
- In Saturday's General Conference... 16
- Leaders close conference by urging... 13