SAN ANTONIO — Word that Tony Parker is likely to play for San Antonio Friday night isn’t good news for the struggling Utah Jazz, but it isn’t causing any extra consternation for coach Tyrone Corbin.
The Jazz have their hands full every time they come to play at the AT&T Center, where they’ve only won twice since it opened in 2002.
Corbin said it really doesn’t matter who’s on the floor for the Spurs because they’re such a good overall team.
“This is a machine, they’ve been together for so long,’’ Corbin said. “They’re better when all their guys are there, but when they miss a guy for a game or two they seem to roll right along and because they plug another guy in and the other guys pick it up as a result.’’
Parker suffered a grade 2 ankle sprain in a game against Sacramento on March 1 and was expected to be out four weeks, but has been practicing this week and participated in 5-on-5 drills Thursday.
The Spurs have gone 6-2 with Parker out with both losses ugly — a 30-point home loss to Portland and a 24-point road loss at Minnesota. That can happen when Cory Joseph is your point guard, but the Jazz apparently won’t have the luxury of going against Joseph instead of Parker.
Corbin said the Jazz won’t change their lineup against the Spurs and expects to go with the same lineup he’s used the past three games, with Gordon Hayward starting at forward with Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson in the middle and Randy Foye and Mo Williams on the guardline.
After Friday’s game, the Jazz complete their road trip with a game at Dallas on Sunday.
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 47
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23