SAN ANTONIO — Word that Tony Parker is likely to play for San Antonio Friday night isn’t good news for the struggling Utah Jazz, but it isn’t causing any extra consternation for coach Tyrone Corbin.
The Jazz have their hands full every time they come to play at the AT&T Center, where they’ve only won twice since it opened in 2002.
Corbin said it really doesn’t matter who’s on the floor for the Spurs because they’re such a good overall team.
“This is a machine, they’ve been together for so long,’’ Corbin said. “They’re better when all their guys are there, but when they miss a guy for a game or two they seem to roll right along and because they plug another guy in and the other guys pick it up as a result.’’
Parker suffered a grade 2 ankle sprain in a game against Sacramento on March 1 and was expected to be out four weeks, but has been practicing this week and participated in 5-on-5 drills Thursday.
The Spurs have gone 6-2 with Parker out with both losses ugly — a 30-point home loss to Portland and a 24-point road loss at Minnesota. That can happen when Cory Joseph is your point guard, but the Jazz apparently won’t have the luxury of going against Joseph instead of Parker.
Corbin said the Jazz won’t change their lineup against the Spurs and expects to go with the same lineup he’s used the past three games, with Gordon Hayward starting at forward with Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson in the middle and Randy Foye and Mo Williams on the guardline.
After Friday’s game, the Jazz complete their road trip with a game at Dallas on Sunday.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- Even before easy win, good day for Serena...
- Westbrook, Thunder put Warriors on brink of...
- 'Lost my way': Murray pushed to 5 sets again...
- USMNT: RSL's Beckerman starts, Timbers' Nagbe...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 152
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 51
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 31
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27