Wildcat Watercooler: Weber State showcasing football and basketball Saturday
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
OGDEN — Saturday is turning into a “wild” cat day.
Starting with the morning rooster call, Weber State will take the field at Stewart Stadium at 9 a.m. for the first of three scrimmages leading up to the annual Purple and White game. Coming off a 2-9 record in 2012 and with an array of new faces in the coaching ranks, many questions remain unanswered.
Who will run the show behind center? Heading into the preseason, the battle appeared to be between junior Jordan Adamczyk and JC transfer Alfonso Medina.
How will the offense transition with new OC Robin Pflugrad? And does WSU have the pieces to gel within the high-tempo offense?
Lastly, which freshmen will emerge as immediate contributors?
At 7:00 p.m. that night, Weber State hosts Air Force in the second round of the CIT. The ‘Cats are vying to go where no ‘Cat has gone before — or Grizzly, North Dakotan, Bobcat, Bear, Thunderbird, Lumberjack, Hornet, Eagle, Viking or Bengal for that matter. With a win, WSU would set the all-time record for most wins in program and conference history.
Also, Scott Bamforth will try to set the all-time high for 3-pointers, currently five behind Damian Lillard with 242.
The Falcons are a formidable opponent and have a few significant wins this season, but their track record for success on the road is virtually nonexistent. After the win at Hawaii in the first round, AF is 4-9 away from home with wins against The Citadel, UC Riverside and Wyoming. Those three teams are a combined 34-60 this season, and 20 of those wins are courtesy of the Pokes — who finished 7-13 after skating by with a fluffed preseason schedule.
Needless to say, Weber State — for all intents and purposes — should handle business on the hardwood.
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should hear...
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- BYU offensive line coming together in time...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Amy Donaldson: Critics of the ALS Ice Bucket...
- Parry's power guide to Utah high school...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 146
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 108
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 97
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 75
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 71
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 46
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 35
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should... 34