Herbert vetoes controversial gun carry bill
'We're not the wild and woolly West,' governor says
"I'm very grateful to the governor, who acted responsibly and has shown great prudence," Bishop Wester said Friday. "I think his decision represents the majority of Utahns who feel that HB76 is a threat to public safety."
The governor has faced opposition from gun rights activists, who say that the bill is misunderstood.
Clark Aposhian, chairman of the Utah Shooting Sports Council and Utah's chief gun lobbyist, said the council was disappointed with the veto, which they felt "was a small legislative step, but a bigger step toward self defense in the state."
"There are at times public misconceptions or misinterpretations about legislation," Aposhian said. "I think that if the public fully understood that this was a very, very tiny step from what we can do right now, their support would be swayed."
Rep. Curt Oda, R-Clearfield, said that it's not just the public who misunderstands the bill, but the governor and his staff, as well.
Oda said the bill simply allows those who can legally carry a gun to put a jacket on over their firearm.
"It's not gun control, it's jacket control," Oda said. "He's creating inadvertent criminals of law abiding citizens."
Oda said the bill had overwhelming support from pro-gun organizations like the National Rifle Association, the Gun Owners of America, and the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Body of man, 51, discovered outside Cedar City
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 21
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 11