PROVO — BYU took to the diamond Thursday night at Larry H. Miller field in game two of a four game set with the Kansas Jayhawks looking to even up their record and reach .500 on the season. The Cougars snapped a five game slide Wednesday on the back of a Desmond Poulson complete game shutout, but Thursday was a different story.
The Jayhawks' bats came to life with 17 hits and the Cougars contributed six errors enroute to a 15-4 drubbing. After being retired in order for the first seven innings the day before, Kansas jumped out to a 9-0 lead in the second inning and extended the damage to 11-1 after four.
Adam Miller (1-5) picked up the loss, only lasting 1.2 innings. Miller accounted for nine earned runs, walking five and giving up six hits. Chunner Nyberg pitched seven strong innings in relief, giving the Cougars a chance to chip away at the lead. Following the second inning, Nyberg only gave up one earned run until the ninth, giving up four more.
Drew Dennis made his first appearance of the season after having his gallbladder removed and threw three straight strikes to record the final out in the game.
The Cougars have picked up wins against No. 2 LSU and No. 21 UC Irvine on the season and are looking to put together a consistent effort in coach Mike Littlewood's first season at the helm.
Game three is slated for 3 p.m. MDT at Miller Field on Friday and the Cougars will look to take the 2-1 advantage in the series against a team BYU last played in 1994.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32