"I have two older kids, 12 and 9, who help out a lot," she said. "I take it one day at a time. I tell myself, 'One step at a time, honey. You may not be able to do it all, but if you go in stressed, nothing will get done.'"
"I don't know how I'm still smiling today," said Jessica Golding, mother of one young boy in Provo. "Last night, when he flooded my bathroom, I was not."
For Golding, community services like the seminar are very helpful.
"Anytime I get on the computer when I need help, things pop up, like this event," she said. "What a wonderful resource this is."
Golding said the appeal of a professional career is difficult for her to grapple with, but she is taking it one step at a time.
"It's hard because for my own gratification, I want to climb that professional ladder," she said, "but at the same time, I want my son to come with me, and you can't do that. At the same time, I want to get a college education to properly raise him as he gets older."
Carine Clark, the new CEO of software company Allegiance, was a keynote speaker at the seminar. Clark reminded her audience of single working mothers that nothing is impossible.
"It's tough, especially in Utah, to be a single mom," she said. "It's easy to feel that you aren't doing enough, that you aren't doing it right, that you aren't smart enough or thin enough or capable. But you're wrong."
Clark advised women to focus on each domain: "When I am home, I am going to be a superior mother, and when I'm at work, I will be a superior executive."
She said her success has stemmed from her confidence.
"It has never occurred to me that I couldn't do something," Clark said. "As we all lift each other as we rise in our careers, our personal lives, the fabric of our community is better."
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama administration...
- Vehicle hits, kills man assessing his crashed...
- 5 memorable ways to pamper your family this...
- Salt Lake City-County Building to undergo...
- Provo’s Bikes and Trikes Festival is...
- Cedar Hills’ Family Festival kicks off...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 109
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 21
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 15
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- IRS scam goes far beyond a phone call... 8