BYU golf: Blair and Parkinson boost BYU to second-place standing
In a strong team effort, BYU finished with an opening round 275 (-9), one stroke behind first-place Tulsa (-10). Denver, Colorado State and Southern Utah are tied for third at four-under-par, five strokes behind the Cougars.
“The course is playing a lot tougher than it’s played before,” BYU associate head golf coach Todd Miller said. “We really have to game plan to play a little bit safer, but the scores were still pretty low today.”
Blair shot a first-round 66 (-5), tying his season-best low score. He currently stands tied for second place on the individual leaderboard, one stroke behind leader Thomas Pieters of Illinois.
Coming off his best collegiate finish during last week’s Triumph at Pauma Valley, freshman Joe Parkinson provided a boost for the Cougars finishing with a career-best 68 during today’s first round. Parkinson had a solid back nine, going four-under-par and currently stands at three-under-par, tied for sixth in the individual standings.
Jordan Hammer rounded out the Cougar lineup shooting an opening round 73 (+2) to finish day one tied for 57th place.
BYU will look to continue its strong play during Friday's second round at Palm Valley Golf Course.
“I thought the team played pretty well,” Miller said. “It’s a good start for us.”
T2 Zac Blair 66, -5
T6 Joe Parkinson 68, -3
T20 Justin Keiley 70, -1
T31 Devon Purser 71, E
T57 Jordan Hammer 73, +2
1 Tulsa, -10
2 Brigham Young, -9
T3 Denver, -4
T3 Colorado State, -4
T3 Southern Utah, -4
T6 Illinois, -2
T6 Idaho, -2
T8 Baylor, -1
T8 Wichita State, -1
10 Nebraska, +1
T11 Air Force, +2
T11 New Mexico State, +2
T11 Boise State, +2
14 Kansas State, +4
15 Kansas, +7
16 Wyoming, +9
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Doug Robinson: The one position the Utes...
- Purdue's pair of 7-footers draw plenty of...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 28