NCAA blog: Game day reactions on Marquette, Gonzaga and more
On a side note, Pittsburgh is threatening to make me 1-3 so far today. Awesome.
Landon (1:06 p.m.): I guess I should hold my tongue then about Wichita State. The gap is closing on them. I really feel sorry for you about Butler, man.
Well, not really, but I'm slightly sympathetic, if that helps at all. I did what you did a year ago. The thing is that I learned from it, and I'm glad I did.
Really, the safest bet is to go top-seed on anything involving a 1-, 2-, 3- or 4-seed. It's the middle ones that always cause the problem. (Unless of course you're talking about 2011 when not one, but two low seeds made it to the Final Four. My bracket was atrocious that year, but I think so was everyone else's...)
Matt (12:58 p.m.): I officially failed Rule No. 1 of March Madness: don't start crowing about a possible upset before it's final.
Bucknell led 37-31 when I got prematurely excited, then proceeded to give up 37 points in the final 10 minutes.
Think about that. Butler more than doubled their points in a half of a half. That's a more subtle version of March Madness, one that trumped my stereotypical version of lower-seed-beating-higher-seed.
So already, I'm doing the yearly ritual of consoling myself by taking stock of everything still intact on my bracket...after two games.
Matt (12:30 p.m.): It's one of the biggest jokes of the 68-team format. Those first four games should be just that: "The First Four." That or the "Qualifying Round of Teams Wanting to Be Annihilated on National Television by a No. 1 Seed". After that, first round, second round, etc. Now the fans are confused and the losing teams get to make their tournament runs sound better than they actually were.
If I sound angry, it's only because Bucknell has successfully allowed Butler to execute a double-digit point swing in a matter of minutes.
Landon (12:19 p.m.): ... Whew. Butler back in the lead. I saw this pick as a no-brainer. Can't believe this is even a close game. I'm glad Wichita State is winning through. Those shockers 'bout to shock the NCAA bracket universe. Oh, and by the way, Matt... picking Bucknell wasn't gutsy. It was foolish. I hope you have them going out in round 3. (Why on earth is the second round called the third round???)
Matt (12:15 p.m.): Hard not to look like a lucky genius with Bucknell giving Butler everything they can handle. Pretty sure I'm the only one at the DNews who had the guts to hand Butler -- a program that has become synonymous with deep tournament runs -- a first-round loss. Couldn't help it, though. Just felt like they were due.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22