PROVO, Utah — After a strong showing in San Diego last week, the BYU men’s track and field team heads back to Southern California this weekend for the USC Trojan Invitational at Loker Stadium in Los Angeles.
USC enters the meet ranked eighth in the country by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association’s preseason poll. The Cougars will face stiff competition from No. 1 Texas A&M, Washington and Washington State.
“There will be some phenomenal competition this weekend,” head coach Mark Robison said. “We’re still just trying to get used to competing outside. These first few weeks our guys need to get their rhythm and get their feel for competing outdoors.”
Several of BYU’s athletes who didn’t make last week’s trip will compete this weekend for the Cougars. Robison explained that the early weeks of the outdoor season are used to help athletes adjust to outdoor competition.
“We have more time in the outdoor season and a much bigger team, so we’ll send different groups of athletes to the meets to make sure we can see progress,” Robison said. “We just need to make progress, we just need to grow.”
Action at the USC Trojan Invitational gets underway Friday with the women’s hammer throw at 2 p.m. PDT. Friday’s events will end with the men’s 5,000-meter run at 7:25 p.m. The competition will resume at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday morning and wrap up with the men’s 4x400-meter relay at 3:30 p.m.
A full schedule of the events can be found on the BYU Gameday page.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at email@example.com.
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- David Stockton, son of John, saves the day...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 70
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 44
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26