PROVO, Utah — After a strong showing in San Diego last week, the BYU men’s track and field team heads back to Southern California this weekend for the USC Trojan Invitational at Loker Stadium in Los Angeles.
USC enters the meet ranked eighth in the country by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association’s preseason poll. The Cougars will face stiff competition from No. 1 Texas A&M, Washington and Washington State.
“There will be some phenomenal competition this weekend,” head coach Mark Robison said. “We’re still just trying to get used to competing outside. These first few weeks our guys need to get their rhythm and get their feel for competing outdoors.”
Several of BYU’s athletes who didn’t make last week’s trip will compete this weekend for the Cougars. Robison explained that the early weeks of the outdoor season are used to help athletes adjust to outdoor competition.
“We have more time in the outdoor season and a much bigger team, so we’ll send different groups of athletes to the meets to make sure we can see progress,” Robison said. “We just need to make progress, we just need to grow.”
Action at the USC Trojan Invitational gets underway Friday with the women’s hammer throw at 2 p.m. PDT. Friday’s events will end with the men’s 5,000-meter run at 7:25 p.m. The competition will resume at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday morning and wrap up with the men’s 4x400-meter relay at 3:30 p.m.
A full schedule of the events can be found on the BYU Gameday page.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 83
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 62
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 27
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 20