PROVO — Mercer has already made a splash in its first National Invitation Tournament appearance.
The No. 7 seed Bears (24-11) knocked off No. 2 Tennessee, 75-67, in Knoxville, Tenn., Wednesday night to advance to a second-round NIT matchup at No. 3 BYU.
The Cougars and Mercer will meet Monday (7 p.m., MT) at the Marriott Center. The game will be broadcast on ESPN or ESPN2.
BYU (22-11) defeated No. 6 Washington Tuesday night at the Marriott Center in its first-round game.
Mercer, a school based in Macon, Ga., is the regular-season champions of the Atlantic Sun Conference. The Bears suffered a home loss to Florida Gulf Coast in the conference championship game, ending hopes of an NCAA tournament bid.
This season, the Bears defeated Florida State and Alabama — two teams that were also in the 32-team NIT field. Both of those wins came on the road.
BYU fell to Florida State, 88-70, at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn in November.
Against Tennessee, guard Travis Smith poured in a game-high 25 points for Mercer. Guard Langston Hall and forward Daniel Coursey added 16 and 15, respectively.
Going into this week's games, Mercer ranked No. 12 nationally in free-throw shooting (75.7 percent) and No. 35 in 3-pointers made (249). The Bears score 1.09 points per possession, which is No. 33 in the nation.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- Skyler Halford helps key BYU's late-season...
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- High school boys basketball: Manti stuns...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 102
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 84
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 76
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 64
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29