NCAA tournament: Pitt-Wichita State could come down to defense, rebounding
One of the big men Patterson will battle in the paint is senior forward Carl Hall. The Georgia native went so far as to say the game might be decided on the boards.
“The winner on the boards is going to win the game,” said Carl Hall. “I’m just going to come ready to rebound.”
The Shockers see themselves as underdogs, but only because others might have doubted their potential.
“Our expectation was that we knew we could make the tournament,” said Early. “We know a lot of people didn’t expect us to get this far. But our expectations for ourselves were actually higher than what people gave us.” The Shockers lost in the first round of the tournament last year to VCU. It’s a loss that has haunted some of the veteran players. “It lingers with our group of seniors,” said Hall. “We don’t want to go out like we did last year.”
Seeding doesn’t concern Marshall, as he said once a team arrives at the NCAA tournament, there simply are no gimmes.
“Regardless, you’re going to play a good team in the first round,” he said smiling. “We’re just glad to have an opportunity. We just want to limit their easy baskets. Ball security and quality shots is what it will boil down to on the offensive end, and then we just have to scratch and claw and be really focused and engaged on the defensive end.” The two teams will be the first of the four games played in Salt Lake City Thursday with tipoff scheduled for 11:40 a.m.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 52
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 22
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 9
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 8