PROVO, Utah – The BYU women’s tennis team defeated Portland, 5-2, on Wednesday in its conference debut.
“The girls played well and pulled out a victory, so hopefully that will help us with our games this weekend,” BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said.
The Cougars (7-5, 1-0 West Coast Conference) swept all three doubles matches to take the first point of the match.
In singles, Portland (7-7, 1-2 WCC) answered with two points of its own. Maja Mladenovic topped Desiree Tran on court 1, 6-4, 6-2. Then on court 2, Anastasia Polyakova beat Morgan Anderson in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2.
BYU responded with victories on courts 3 and 4. Sophomore Meghan Sheehan-Dizon quickly lost her first set but fought back to win the match in three sets, 1-6, 6-1, 6-1. Nicolette Tran also defeated her opponent 6-4, 7-5 to give BYU a one-point lead.
On court 6, senior Aubrey Paul clinched a Cougar win as she came away with a decisive 6-2, 6-0 triumph over Emily Gould. Freshman Mackenna Maddox finished with a 6-4, 6-1 victory of her own to end the match.
The Cougars next travel to California to face San Francisco on Friday and Santa Clara on Saturday.
1. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) def. Fuchs/Polyakova (PU) 8-5
2. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) def. Dhatt/Troesch (PU) 8-3
3. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) def. Mladenovic/Gould (PU) 8-2
1. Maja Mladenovic (PU) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Anastasia Polyakova (PU) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Sabine Fuchs (PU) 1-6, 6-1, 6-1
4. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Tori Troesch (PU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) def. Saroop Dhatt (PU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Emiy Gould (PU) 6-2, 6-0
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.