PROVO, Utah – The BYU women’s tennis team defeated Portland, 5-2, on Wednesday in its conference debut.
“The girls played well and pulled out a victory, so hopefully that will help us with our games this weekend,” BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said.
The Cougars (7-5, 1-0 West Coast Conference) swept all three doubles matches to take the first point of the match.
In singles, Portland (7-7, 1-2 WCC) answered with two points of its own. Maja Mladenovic topped Desiree Tran on court 1, 6-4, 6-2. Then on court 2, Anastasia Polyakova beat Morgan Anderson in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2.
BYU responded with victories on courts 3 and 4. Sophomore Meghan Sheehan-Dizon quickly lost her first set but fought back to win the match in three sets, 1-6, 6-1, 6-1. Nicolette Tran also defeated her opponent 6-4, 7-5 to give BYU a one-point lead.
On court 6, senior Aubrey Paul clinched a Cougar win as she came away with a decisive 6-2, 6-0 triumph over Emily Gould. Freshman Mackenna Maddox finished with a 6-4, 6-1 victory of her own to end the match.
The Cougars next travel to California to face San Francisco on Friday and Santa Clara on Saturday.
DoublesComment on this story
1. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) def. Fuchs/Polyakova (PU) 8-5
2. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) def. Dhatt/Troesch (PU) 8-3
3. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) def. Mladenovic/Gould (PU) 8-2
1. Maja Mladenovic (PU) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Anastasia Polyakova (PU) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Sabine Fuchs (PU) 1-6, 6-1, 6-1
4. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Tori Troesch (PU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) def. Saroop Dhatt (PU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Emiy Gould (PU) 6-2, 6-0
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.