Couple who allegedly robbed bank with kids in car charged in federal court
SALT LAKE CITY — A Tooele couple who allegedly robbed a bank while their young children waited in a car outside were indicted Wednesday in federal court.
William Joseph Parker and Michelle Joyce Parker, both 27, were charged with three counts of bank robbery in connection with holdups in Magna, Murray and Tooele.
Michelle Parker entered the Wells Fargo Bank in Tooele on March 11 and gave the teller a note demanding money. Her husband waited outside in the car the with the couple's 5- and 2-year-old children, according to Tooele police.
An off-duty officer saw Michelle Parker hurry out of the bank and leave in a waiting car just before noon. He followed the vehicle and stopped the couple before receiving word of the robbery.
The Parkers were also charged with robbing Wells Fargo banks in Magna on Jan. 14 and in Murray on Feb. 5. They are scheduled to appear in U.S. District Court on Thursday. They face up to 20 years in prison for each count.
The couple moved to Tooele in November. The children were taken into state custody, police said. Their maternal grandfather was working to have them released to him.
- Victim of Washington Terrace homicide...
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to dial...
- K2 The Church's grand opening a neighborhood...
- UDOT announces road project schedule for 2015
- Can you name your U.S. Representative? See...
- Tom Welch: Replace the prison with the NFL
- Doug Robinson: Managing a delicate balance
- Doug Robinson: A Boy Scout for 75 years ......
- Gov. Herbert increases pressure on... 52
- Illinois professor could help Utah... 43
- House Speaker Greg Hughes kills hopes... 34
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 23
- Lawmakers consider academic turnaround... 17
- Some GOP House members disagree with... 17
- With Healthy Utah stalled, lives still... 16
- Hope in a crisis: School, community... 16