SALT LAKE CITY — A Tooele couple who allegedly robbed a bank while their young children waited in a car outside were indicted Wednesday in federal court.
William Joseph Parker and Michelle Joyce Parker, both 27, were charged with three counts of bank robbery in connection with holdups in Magna, Murray and Tooele.
Michelle Parker entered the Wells Fargo Bank in Tooele on March 11 and gave the teller a note demanding money. Her husband waited outside in the car the with the couple's 5- and 2-year-old children, according to Tooele police.
An off-duty officer saw Michelle Parker hurry out of the bank and leave in a waiting car just before noon. He followed the vehicle and stopped the couple before receiving word of the robbery.
The Parkers were also charged with robbing Wells Fargo banks in Magna on Jan. 14 and in Murray on Feb. 5. They are scheduled to appear in U.S. District Court on Thursday. They face up to 20 years in prison for each count.
The couple moved to Tooele in November. The children were taken into state custody, police said. Their maternal grandfather was working to have them released to him.
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Body of man, 51, discovered outside Cedar City
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 21
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 11