SALT LAKE CITY — A Tooele couple who allegedly robbed a bank while their young children waited in a car outside were indicted Wednesday in federal court.
William Joseph Parker and Michelle Joyce Parker, both 27, were charged with three counts of bank robbery in connection with holdups in Magna, Murray and Tooele.
Michelle Parker entered the Wells Fargo Bank in Tooele on March 11 and gave the teller a note demanding money. Her husband waited outside in the car the with the couple's 5- and 2-year-old children, according to Tooele police.
An off-duty officer saw Michelle Parker hurry out of the bank and leave in a waiting car just before noon. He followed the vehicle and stopped the couple before receiving word of the robbery.
The Parkers were also charged with robbing Wells Fargo banks in Magna on Jan. 14 and in Murray on Feb. 5. They are scheduled to appear in U.S. District Court on Thursday. They face up to 20 years in prison for each count.
The couple moved to Tooele in November. The children were taken into state custody, police said. Their maternal grandfather was working to have them released to him.
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- Second victim found of Murray trucker accused...
- Two cyclists killed after Lehi accident
- Historic Star Mill owner sells property;...
- Salt Lake police warn of vinyl fence vandals
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on...
- Alleged mastermind in sex trafficking ring...
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Judge: Biological father will share... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 27
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 24
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 24
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on... 22
- Hatch, Lee call on federal government... 19
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18