PORTLAND — After an outstanding stretch of ballgames at the Rebel Spring Games in Kissimmee, Fla., last week, Utah Valley University shortstop Krystin Jachim was named Pacific Coast Softball Conference Player of the Week.
UVU (13-9) went 7-1 at last week's Games, and Jachim played a huge role in that success. For the week, the senior batted .560 (14-for-25), drove in nine runs and belted one home run. She hit in seven of the eight games played and is currently riding an eight-game hitting streak.
Perhaps her most pivotal performance came late in the week against Rider, going 2-for-2 with a three-run homer. With runners on first and second, two away and the Wolverines holding just a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the fourth, Jachim blew the game open when she lifted her first home run of the season over the left field wall. The shot put UVU out in front for good, 5-1, as it collected its seventh win of the week.
She also went 3-for-3 with a pair of RBIs in an 8-3 win over Youngstown State — one of her six multi-hit games on the week — helping to up her season average to a team-best .397.
Claiming PCSC Pitcher of the Week accolades was Loyola Marymount freshman Sydney Gouveia. The Arroyo Grand, Calif., native recorded 29.0 scoreless innings last week, going 4-0 and striking out 17 hitters against Cal State Northridge.
Jachim and Utah Valley are back in action Wednesday when Marist visits Orem for a 3 p.m. start. The PCSC season begins Saturday with UVU hitting the road to face Saint Mary's in Moraga, Calif.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Skyler Halford helps key BYU's late-season...
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- High school boys basketball: Manti stuns...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 100
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 84
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 74
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 64
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29