PORTLAND — After an outstanding stretch of ballgames at the Rebel Spring Games in Kissimmee, Fla., last week, Utah Valley University shortstop Krystin Jachim was named Pacific Coast Softball Conference Player of the Week.
UVU (13-9) went 7-1 at last week's Games, and Jachim played a huge role in that success. For the week, the senior batted .560 (14-for-25), drove in nine runs and belted one home run. She hit in seven of the eight games played and is currently riding an eight-game hitting streak.
Perhaps her most pivotal performance came late in the week against Rider, going 2-for-2 with a three-run homer. With runners on first and second, two away and the Wolverines holding just a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the fourth, Jachim blew the game open when she lifted her first home run of the season over the left field wall. The shot put UVU out in front for good, 5-1, as it collected its seventh win of the week.
She also went 3-for-3 with a pair of RBIs in an 8-3 win over Youngstown State — one of her six multi-hit games on the week — helping to up her season average to a team-best .397.
Claiming PCSC Pitcher of the Week accolades was Loyola Marymount freshman Sydney Gouveia. The Arroyo Grand, Calif., native recorded 29.0 scoreless innings last week, going 4-0 and striking out 17 hitters against Cal State Northridge.
Jachim and Utah Valley are back in action Wednesday when Marist visits Orem for a 3 p.m. start. The PCSC season begins Saturday with UVU hitting the road to face Saint Mary's in Moraga, Calif.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19