PORTLAND — After an outstanding stretch of ballgames at the Rebel Spring Games in Kissimmee, Fla., last week, Utah Valley University shortstop Krystin Jachim was named Pacific Coast Softball Conference Player of the Week.
UVU (13-9) went 7-1 at last week's Games, and Jachim played a huge role in that success. For the week, the senior batted .560 (14-for-25), drove in nine runs and belted one home run. She hit in seven of the eight games played and is currently riding an eight-game hitting streak.
Perhaps her most pivotal performance came late in the week against Rider, going 2-for-2 with a three-run homer. With runners on first and second, two away and the Wolverines holding just a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the fourth, Jachim blew the game open when she lifted her first home run of the season over the left field wall. The shot put UVU out in front for good, 5-1, as it collected its seventh win of the week.
She also went 3-for-3 with a pair of RBIs in an 8-3 win over Youngstown State — one of her six multi-hit games on the week — helping to up her season average to a team-best .397.
Claiming PCSC Pitcher of the Week accolades was Loyola Marymount freshman Sydney Gouveia. The Arroyo Grand, Calif., native recorded 29.0 scoreless innings last week, going 4-0 and striking out 17 hitters against Cal State Northridge.
Jachim and Utah Valley are back in action Wednesday when Marist visits Orem for a 3 p.m. start. The PCSC season begins Saturday with UVU hitting the road to face Saint Mary's in Moraga, Calif.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Brad Rock: Jazz's biggest star still waiting...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 88
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 59
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 51
- High school football: State tournament... 49
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42