High school boys soccer: Layton Christian dominates Mount Vernon
LAYTON — The Layton Christian Academy Eagles took full advantage on their home field Tuesday with an impressive win. The Patriots arrived with enthusiasm and energy, but just couldn’t handle the Eagle speed.
In the end, LCA defeated the Patriots 8-nil in a shortened contest.
Donggyu Im started the deluge of scoring from the high-flying Eagles early in the first half. All in all, seven Eagles tallied goals. Joining Im were Fernando Horta, Juan Coella (2 goals), Jack Chandler, Emil Softic, Boom Tangruanrat and Armand Rukundo.
Asked about the substantial number of international students on LCA’s squad, assistant coach Patrick Watts remarked, “It makes us play together. The different languages make it hard to learn, so we have to be aware of each other on the field.”
Watts said their strengths this year are the depth of talent on this year’s team compared with a year ago and the returning young players.
The Eagles remain home on Thursday to host Highland while the Patriots travel to Intermountain Christian.
Gary Czenkus is an Air Force veteran and graduate of the University of Nebraska. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31