High school boys soccer: Layton Christian dominates Mount Vernon
LAYTON — The Layton Christian Academy Eagles took full advantage on their home field Tuesday with an impressive win. The Patriots arrived with enthusiasm and energy, but just couldn’t handle the Eagle speed.
In the end, LCA defeated the Patriots 8-nil in a shortened contest.
Donggyu Im started the deluge of scoring from the high-flying Eagles early in the first half. All in all, seven Eagles tallied goals. Joining Im were Fernando Horta, Juan Coella (2 goals), Jack Chandler, Emil Softic, Boom Tangruanrat and Armand Rukundo.
Asked about the substantial number of international students on LCA’s squad, assistant coach Patrick Watts remarked, “It makes us play together. The different languages make it hard to learn, so we have to be aware of each other on the field.”
Watts said their strengths this year are the depth of talent on this year’s team compared with a year ago and the returning young players.
The Eagles remain home on Thursday to host Highland while the Patriots travel to Intermountain Christian.
Gary Czenkus is an Air Force veteran and graduate of the University of Nebraska. EMAIL: email@example.com
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 47
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 43
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24