High school boys soccer: Layton Christian dominates Mount Vernon
LAYTON — The Layton Christian Academy Eagles took full advantage on their home field Tuesday with an impressive win. The Patriots arrived with enthusiasm and energy, but just couldn’t handle the Eagle speed.
In the end, LCA defeated the Patriots 8-nil in a shortened contest.
Donggyu Im started the deluge of scoring from the high-flying Eagles early in the first half. All in all, seven Eagles tallied goals. Joining Im were Fernando Horta, Juan Coella (2 goals), Jack Chandler, Emil Softic, Boom Tangruanrat and Armand Rukundo.
Asked about the substantial number of international students on LCA’s squad, assistant coach Patrick Watts remarked, “It makes us play together. The different languages make it hard to learn, so we have to be aware of each other on the field.”
Watts said their strengths this year are the depth of talent on this year’s team compared with a year ago and the returning young players.
The Eagles remain home on Thursday to host Highland while the Patriots travel to Intermountain Christian.
Gary Czenkus is an Air Force veteran and graduate of the University of Nebraska. EMAIL: email@example.com
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball tournament
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Morning links: SI features Frank Jackson;...
- Utah Jazz: Ranking the best No. 12 picks in...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be better...
- Point guard was weak spot in '14-'15, but...
- The Clean Cut: NBA star's 2-year-old daughter...
- BYU baseball team confident entering West...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 112
- Mike Sorensen: Utah, BYU not getting a... 86
- Guest commentary: Want national... 65
- Utah Utes coaches tailor weekly... 54
- BYU's Taysom Hill, Utah's Devontae... 41
- Morning links: BYU has a shot to snap... 37
- Ranking the best quarterbacks in... 18
- Dick Harmon: Who's going to follow... 16