SOUTH JORDAN — Bingham rebounded from two consecutive one-run losses to down Spanish Fork at home, 7-3, Tuesday afternoon. The Miners used a key fifth-inning rally and solid contributions from everyone in the lineup to come away with the victory.
The Miners didn’t overpower the Dons, but used a steady stream of disciplined hitting to score runs and get the job done.
“That’s Bingham baseball. That’s what we do,” said Bingham senior Brennon Lund, who provided three hits. “When we get on base, we just focus on base hits and opposite field. We don’t try to hit it too hard, but just focus on getting singles.”
Bingham’s strategy worked like a charm in the bottom of the fifth. Down 3-2 Lund led off an offensive surge with an opposite-field hit that was followed up with RBI singles from Braxton McKee and Jacob Druce. The Miners scored four runs in the inning to lead 6-3.
TJ Bowcutt provided an RBI opposite-field hit in the sixth to extend the lead to 7-3, which proved to be the final score.
In between the opposite-field hitting displays were solid pitching performances from starter Cortlen Nielsen and Gentry Robinson in relief. Robinson helped stave off scoring threats in both the sixth and seventh innings to help secure the victory.
“When pitchers throw strikes it helps us out a lot,” Lund said. “It makes it hard for the other team to get on base, so them throwing strikes really helped out — even if they didn’t lead to strikeouts.”
With the win Bingham squares up its record at 2-2 and will next take on Syracuse before heading to North Carolina for a tournament. Overall the team expects big things after a coming away with a region championship last season.
“We have 11 seniors returning and three of us started last year,” Lund said. “We have a really good team this year and we’re really excited.”
The players are trying to keep things in perspective and work the season much like they work opposing pitchers.
“We try not to get too ahead of ourselves and just take one game at a time,” Lund said. “Our focus is always just the next practice or the next game and doing everything we can to just win our next game.”
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler Haws'...
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- Results from Tuesday's high school softball,...
- 4 reasons why you need to paraglide at Point...
- Utah high school updated tournament pairings...
- High school boys soccer: Lehi edges...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 55
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler... 23
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 19
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 15
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8