Man killed in shootout with police in Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY — A man is dead after a search for a suspected parole violator triggered a shootout with police Tuesday afternoon.
Salt Lake City Police Sgt. Shawn Josephson said police have not identified the man who died in an area hospital, but confirmed he was not the suspect they were looking for. Police did not disclose how many times the man was shot, how many officers fired or which agencies they were from.
Josephson said the man fired at least one shot at officers as he confronted them in the street when they approached a home at 1149 S. Foulger St., and officers returned fire.
Police recovered the man's gun but didn't specify what kind of firearm he was carrying.
Three people in the home went voluntarily into police custody after negotiations with officers. Among them was the man police were originally looking for.
Police did not identify the man, but Josephson said he was a fugitive facing charges including aggravated robbery. He could face additional charges based on Tuesday's search, police said.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Judge sets November hearing for ex-A.G.s Mark...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 29
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12