Man killed in shootout with police in Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY — A man is dead after a search for a suspected parole violator triggered a shootout with police Tuesday afternoon.
Salt Lake City Police Sgt. Shawn Josephson said police have not identified the man who died in an area hospital, but confirmed he was not the suspect they were looking for. Police did not disclose how many times the man was shot, how many officers fired or which agencies they were from.
Josephson said the man fired at least one shot at officers as he confronted them in the street when they approached a home at 1149 S. Foulger St., and officers returned fire.
Police recovered the man's gun but didn't specify what kind of firearm he was carrying.
Three people in the home went voluntarily into police custody after negotiations with officers. Among them was the man police were originally looking for.
Police did not identify the man, but Josephson said he was a fugitive facing charges including aggravated robbery. He could face additional charges based on Tuesday's search, police said.
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Pilot sentenced for groping teenage girl on...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Republican, Democratic political... 40
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 16