Man killed in shootout with police in Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY — A man is dead after a search for a suspected parole violator triggered a shootout with police Tuesday afternoon.
Salt Lake City Police Sgt. Shawn Josephson said police have not identified the man who died in an area hospital, but confirmed he was not the suspect they were looking for. Police did not disclose how many times the man was shot, how many officers fired or which agencies they were from.
Josephson said the man fired at least one shot at officers as he confronted them in the street when they approached a home at 1149 S. Foulger St., and officers returned fire.
Police recovered the man's gun but didn't specify what kind of firearm he was carrying.
Three people in the home went voluntarily into police custody after negotiations with officers. Among them was the man police were originally looking for.
Police did not identify the man, but Josephson said he was a fugitive facing charges including aggravated robbery. He could face additional charges based on Tuesday's search, police said.
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law requiring body...
- Proposed tax increase a 'bold move' for...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 36
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 27
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 21
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20