Man killed in shootout with police in Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY — A man is dead after a search for a suspected parole violator triggered a shootout with police Tuesday afternoon.
Salt Lake City Police Sgt. Shawn Josephson said police have not identified the man who died in an area hospital, but confirmed he was not the suspect they were looking for. Police did not disclose how many times the man was shot, how many officers fired or which agencies they were from.
Josephson said the man fired at least one shot at officers as he confronted them in the street when they approached a home at 1149 S. Foulger St., and officers returned fire.
Police recovered the man's gun but didn't specify what kind of firearm he was carrying.
Three people in the home went voluntarily into police custody after negotiations with officers. Among them was the man police were originally looking for.
Police did not identify the man, but Josephson said he was a fugitive facing charges including aggravated robbery. He could face additional charges based on Tuesday's search, police said.
- Security, authorities detain woman...
- BYU Museum of Art acquires previously lost...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Police: More than 100 Sanpete County homes...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- 'I just can't say 'I'm sorry' enough': Woman...
- Chopper pilot set to retire after 46 years,...
- Police say man persuaded Provo High boys to...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 39
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 22
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 16
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 14