Tips for living: '10 Questions to Answer While Preparing for a Mission'
With the recent announcement by President Thomas S. Monson of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that lowered the missionary age to 18 for men and 19 for women, many may be wondering if they are fully prepared to serve a full-time mission.
Author Benjamin Hyrum White, a returned missionary, Brigham Young University graduate, and current LDS seminary teacher in Orem, Utah, has written a book which fully encapsulates what is necessary and expected as a missionary. "10 Questions to Answer While Preparing for a Mission" (Cedar Fort, $10.99) is a masterfully written "manual" specifically for those preparing to serve missions, but is also effective for anyone planning to attend the temple or who simply wants to live the gospel more fully.
Some key tips White offers are:
- Be sure to live worthily to have the Holy Ghost as a constant companion, to have a testimony and be prepared to enter the temple. Being worthy is a major part of being able to share the gospel.
- Know how to work — hard. Missionaries have busy schedules, with little time for much else than the Lord's work. Being responsible and working hard now is important to being fully prepared.
- Understand what "success" really means. Hint: it isn't necessarily how many baptisms a missionary has or doesn't have.
- Have a plan to avoid idleness upon returning home from two years dedicated to serving the Lord. Enrolling in college and obtaining a job are two suggestions to keep working hard and not become a sloth.
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- Why I don’t call myself a ‘Mormon...
- 18 must-see attractions on and around Temple...
- 'Amazed by Grace' by Sheri Dew explores...
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore chain says
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 140
- Why I don’t call myself a... 91
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 57
- What Mormons should know about NBC's... 51
- Kara Tippetts, Christian who blogged... 26
- Why Ted Cruz launched his presidential... 17
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Alternative rock/indie band of 5... 9